Sticky accelerator pedal/throttle 1962

heuchs
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi - I recently purchased a beautiful red 1962; my first classic car. After it sat for a few weeks awaiting seat repair, I now find that the accelerator pedal sticks after it has been depressed. Lifting my foot off the pedal does not bring down the revs, so I have to reach down and manually pull back the linkage. I am hoping that someone here can give me suggestions for how i can fix fix this without having to put my car on a flatbed to get it to the shop.

I took two pictures of the part that moves when depressing the accelerator. My first thought was to wonder if the spring that hangs down in picture 1 (red arrow) should connect to something that would return revs to idle speed when I take my foot off the pedal. Another thought was that perhaps something simply needs to be lubricated somewhere. As background, this was not a problem when I bought the car, so it clearly happened while the care sat for about 5-6 weeks.

I appreciate any suggestions, and am looking forward to a number of happy years with this car and learning from this forum’s members.

Regards - Heuchs
IMG_0732.jpgIMG_0734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I inserted your images into your post as seen here-
]

Last edited:
Hi, looks like it had a second spring to help the pedal return - it shouldn't be just loose hanging around! Usually, they have the one so I'd check to make sure the carpet mats are not catching or the actual pedal is not sticking - recently I replaced my 'rubber' pedal and it made the throttle not return, I had to pull it back a few times to get it to 'relax' into position (hard to describe) but that could be an issue as it looks nice a clean like its been refurbed so may have had a new pedal so they added a second spring to help it return.

Back