Starter 56 Tbird.

Keith V
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I installed a new battery. When the positive cable was installed, the starter engaged and turned over the motor even though the ignition was off and the transmission was in park. Any ideas why that would happen?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I installed a new battery. When the positive cable was installed, the starter engaged and turned over the motor even though the ignition was off and the transmission was in park. Any ideas why that would happen?
It sounds like you have a solenoid issue as well.

Perhaps the solenoid. Could also be the ignition switch. I would check continuity. I don't know that it would solve anything but, If you connected the plus side first I don't think it would happen instantly since it would not be grounded. My way is to install the positive first and the negative second. I find I have less of a spark issue in that manner. good luck, J.

The solenoids contacts have been noted to stick closed. I recently bought a solenoid that was stuck brand new. Hopefully you didn't remove the wires and replace them in-correctly. Hope this will help
M.L.

I agree with odlewis, with the transmission in park you can rule out the ignition switch.. I carry a spare starter solenoid in my trunk, just in case.

Back