Speedometer,odometer, and trip counter shuts off if sitting in rain 1988

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I have recently noticed on my T-Bird that when the car sits out in the rain and is not being run that the speedometer, odometer, and trip counter will not move at all, but after running for a bit all of it seems to kick on at the same time. The check engine light has not come on about this, so I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, is it something as easy as removing the connection at the firewall and putting some dielectric grease in it, or replacing the ground wire or is their some more serious work that needs to be done? Any help would be very appreciative

Sounds like you may have either a circuit board or harness issue. Possibly a dealer repair.

Possibly a dealer repair.
Many dealers will just tell you the part isn't available anymore and send you away after paying the 125.00 diagnostic fee. They even do it on retro birds even though the parts can be sent off for repair, or aftermarket parts on ebay.

Try disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes. For some reason it fixes a lot of strange electrical problems. It’s simple, can’t hurt, plus it’s free! It’s worth a try.

Back