Replacing speedometer face 1955

HRUVDT564
Last seen
I am replacing the speedometer face on my bird and need to clean out some sandblasting media that got behind the face. I see The dome tilts forward but before I start exploring does anyone have any tips for me to clean and replace the old cracked face ( the cars I mean, there’s no hope for mine

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am replacing the speedometer face on my bird and need to clean out some sandblasting media that got behind the face. I see The dome tilts forward but before I start exploring does anyone have any tips for me to clean and replace the old cracked face ( the cars I mean, there’s no hope for mine
You can purchase new faces through the Tbird parts stores. Try Hill's in Ohio.

I have the new face just not sure how to install it.
You have to take the entire unit out of the dash. I never did it with the dash in the car. I always did it while the dash was out and on my work bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I seen on a related post there are four clips behind the gauge unit under the dash.
I’ll crawl up under there and see if I can get it free

Thank you. I seen on a related post there are four clips behind the gauge unit under the dash.
I’ll crawl up under there and see if I can get it free
Since you read my post on how to remove the speedometer from the dash, here is how you replace the old cracked face.

On the back side of the speedometer you will see the 4 nuts and the 2 screws that attach the speedometer frame to the speedometer. Once the frame is removed the clear speedometer hood can also be removed. After that all you have to do is to remove the two small screws that attach the speedometer face to the speedometer.

I’m sure the attached pictures will guide you through the procedure.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Instrument Cluster Removal​

The instrument cluster is held in place by four clips behind the dash. These clips are attached to the instrument cluster studs using nuts and lock washers. On the upper right stud, the ground wire for the instrument cluster is also attached. If you are flexible you can squirm under the dash from the driver’s door. If this becomes too painful, the seat can be easily removed to allow more comfortable access. Although it is not necessary, you can also remove the steering wheel to gain the necessary clearance when removing the instrument cluster from the dash. If the steering wheel is not removed, you can use the telescopic feature to gain 3 additional inches of clearance.

Before the instrument cluster can be removed, you must disconnect the speedometer cable by the fluted nut that attaches the cable housing to the speedometer head. You will also have to remove the wires that are connected to the fuel and temperature gauges. It would be a good idea to label these wires as you remove them. Next, remove all of the light bulbs that are in the instrument cluster. These bulbs just push in the instrument cluster and are held in place by their sockets. I would suggest that you label the bulbs as you remove them from the instrument cluster.

Speedometer Face Removal​

On the back side of the speedometer you will see the 4 nuts and the 2 screws that attach the speedometer frame to the speedometer. Once the frame is removed the clear speedometer hood can also be removed. After that all you have to do is to remove the two small screws that attach the speedometer face to the speedometer.

I’m sure the attached pictures will guide you through the procedure.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Removing the Speedometer Face - 1.jpg

Frame Removed - 2.jpg

Hood Removed - 3.jpg

Removing the Speedometer Face - 2.jpg

Face Removed.jpg

Back