Replacing driver's seat cushion in 65

NTWooley

NTWooley

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to replace the seat cushion in my 65 Tbird. It is disintegrating so it needs replacing. It is an electric seat. Anyone do this before? Any pointers, helpful hints would be much appreciated!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Been there, done that. First you have to buy a seat cushion kit from one of the T-Bird suppliers. Unfortunately you can't just buy the seat. You also have to buy the back cushion as well. Cost is about $150 US. Maybe a good upholsterer could cut and shape a block of foam to do the trick but it would still cost you money for labor.
Remove the seat from the car and remove the trim work from the seat. Separate the back from the seat by spreading the swivel brackets on the sides. Lots of force required. Then start removing all the Hog rings which hold the upholstery to the frame. You will have to buy new hog rings and a special pair of plyers to reinstall them. Not expensive. Once every thing is appart your ready to reverse the process. Depending on the condition of your upholstery and springs you may want to do some upgrades to them first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back