Repairing & repainting the steering wheel on my 1955

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, I’m looking for any and all advice on repairing a cracked steering wheel on my 1955 Thunderbird. I’m also changing the color of it. It was originally Thunderbird blue and now it’s Colonial White. I also am looking for a quality company that does rechroming including my bumpers . I live in New England and haven’t found a place up in this region but can send them out wherever I need to.

Thanks, JDJ

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I haven't had steering wheel refinished, other than horn ring (R&D because it's pot metal) . But, for chrome there's two places I really like in east Tennessee they're only a mile apart and do great work. Tri city plating, and R&D finishing. Quick Google search of "elizabethton tn chrome plating" should get you their numbers. R&D can do pot metal and black chrome, tri city does awesome bumpers and may have some in stock.

Hi all, I’m looking for any and all advice on repairing a cracked steering wheel on my 1955 Thunderbird. I’m also changing the color of it. It was originally Thunderbird blue and now it’s Colonial White. I also am looking for a quality company that does rechroming including my bumpers . I live in New England and haven’t found a place up in this region but can send them out wherever I need to.

Thanks, JDJ
Casco restoration for the wheel. Can't help you on the other.

Thanks, JDJ
JDJ,

When I purchased my Thunderbird in 2014,the original steering wheel was cracked everywhere and so sun faded that I knew that I had to have it refinished. I sent my steering wheel to CASCO and they said that they could repair it, however due to its condition there would be no guarantee on the cracks. They said the steering wheel would look good, but I would have to baby it to keep it from cracking. That meant no using it to get in and out of the car or adjusting the setting position behind the wheel. Because of that, I decided to find another steering wheel.

I purchased a red steering wheel that had no cracks in it and send it to CASCO to have it refinished and the color changed to blue. CASCO did an excellent job. Since then I have put over 5,000 miles on my car and the steering wheel still looks like new.

Attached are pictures of my original steering wheel, the replacement red steering wheel and the refinished now blue steering wheel.

If you decide to refinish the steering wheel yourself, I also attached an article written by Al Parker for the January/February 1995 EarlyBird magazine titled, “How To Restore Your Steering Wheel”.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Steering Wheel Restored By CASCO.JPG

Attachments

• Original Steering Wheel.JPG
    Original Steering Wheel.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Replacement Red Steering Wheel.jpg
    Replacement Red Steering Wheel.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
  • How To Restore Your Steering Wheel.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ

Thanks, JDJ
I just finished writing a Tech Tip on repairing your steering wheel see attached

STEERING WHEEL REPAIR By Bob DePaola
The first thing you touch in your car is your steering wheel. The last thing you touch when you exit your car is the steering wheel. Your grab it, you hold it tight in your hands. You tap it, hit it, squeeze it, even love it. When you get in your car the steering wheel becomes an extension of you. You are in contact with your car. You are in control.

Your steering wheel gets a lot of use. It gets sun baked, dirty and it cracks. That’s when it needs repair.

Of course you can try and find a reproduction steering wheel, but in some cases they are nonexistent. For example, the 1955 Thunderbird. The best, most supply companies can offer is a used or repaired one. A replacement 1956-57 will run you about $350.00 and you can get it in most colors. However in most cases you can do it yourself with a little time and a few products that are sold today. The cost of the repair for me was under $45.00.

Now I realize most supply houses sell an epoxy two part system for repair, they are good, but I have read several comments on line on how after time they cracked again. What I found is, because of the two part epoxy paste doesn’t really get down into the bottom of the cracks leaving air pockets.

Steering wheels in the 50’s were made mostly of a variety of Bakelite called Catalin. It was a popular type plastic as it was all but transparent and could be pigmented in any color. This type plastic was cast around a steel frame. What I used was a product called Plastifix by Polyvance. It is easy to use and flows easily. The set cost me $39.95. Before I go any further I have to tell you after I had completed my repairs, I happened to accompany my wife to her local nail salon. As I watched my wife getting what they call a fill. I realized they were using the same stuff as I did. They used acrylic nail repair. You can purchase the complete kit of acrylic liquid 120 ml, 3 jars of powder, pen, and dipping dish. For under $18.00 and you get three times as much.

OK now back to repairing. First thing you need to do is remove the steering wheel from the column and remove all chrome and plastic parts. If you are not in possession of a high speed rotary drill and a cut-off wheel, get one. It will make fast work of all the cracks. I used a Dremel but any other brand will do just fine. I used the #426 fiberglass cutoff wheels to V (bevel) the cracks and a V shaped High Speed Steel (HSS) grinding tip. It’s easy to use and the chips flow for faster stock removal with little or no clogging. You can purchase a verity 20 piece bit set for under $10.00 Once you have cleaned out all the cracks, use a citrus-based cleaner to get the wheel as clean as possible. I then followed that up with a wipe down of lacquer thinner. Be sure to use rubber gloves when dealing with these harsh chemicals. Like any job the foundation must be firm. Even here, where you are going to paint the finished wheel it must be super clean. I used an air hose to blow away any dust or debris left on the wheel.

I used aluminum tape to hold broken plastic parts together while I did the plastic welding. I wrapped it half way around the wheel to create a well for the real bad cracks I had. Following the instruction with the Pastifix, I applied small amounts in each crack and allowed it to flow into the crevices. The working time is 3-4 minutes and fully hard in 15 minutes.

Once I had one side done I removed the tape and repeated the process on the other side to make sure I had all the crevices filled completely. Now it's time to start sanding. This is the most time-consuming part. Using finer and finer grit sandpaper, I sanded, and sanded it as smooth as possible. If I found any low spots while sanding, I filled them now before I forgot where they were. There's almost no waste when using the needle dropper method.

After the initial cleaning, I went over the whole wheel with 320 grit paper to give the primer a base to stick to. It’s a good idea to hit this with a precleaner as well. To get the steering wheel ready for primer. I taping off what I didn't want to get painted. Even though I thought I had this steering wheel really smooth, the primer helped me to see the imperfections. I cleaned the steering wheel with a Super Prep. Plastic Cleaner spray for paint.

Once everything was sanded, I cleaned the steering wheel with Super Prep Plastic Cleaner again and applied Plastic Magic Adhesion Promoter to get it ready for the sealer. I use Polyvance’s All Seasons Waterborne Sealer and sprayed the entire steering wheel. I filled in any remaining scratches and pin holes with spot putty and sand them smooth.

I used Imron 5000 paint which is a polyurethane enamel used on heavy-duty trucks, bus and trains. I mixed the smallest amount possible in my pint mixing cup. I applied the paint using a touch-up gun since the surfaces needing paint was so narrow. I allowed the paint to cure for about 24 hours before removing the masking tape.

Attachments

• Steering wheel repair.pdf
    721.4 KB · Views: 7
I just finished writing a Tech Tip on repairing your steering wheel see attached

STEERING WHEEL REPAIR By Bob DePaola
The first thing you touch in your car is your steering wheel. The last thing you touch when you exit your car is the steering wheel. Your grab it, you hold it tight in your hands. You tap it, hit it, squeeze it, even love it. When you get in your car the steering wheel becomes an extension of you. You are in contact with your car. You are in control.

Your steering wheel gets a lot of use. It gets sun baked, dirty and it cracks. That’s when it needs repair.

Of course you can try and find a reproduction steering wheel, but in some cases they are nonexistent. For example, the 1955 Thunderbird. The best, most supply companies can offer is a used or repaired one. A replacement 1956-57 will run you about $350.00 and you can get it in most colors. However in most cases you can do it yourself with a little time and a few products that are sold today. The cost of the repair for me was under $45.00.

Now I realize most supply houses sell an epoxy two part system for repair, they are good, but I have read several comments on line on how after time they cracked again. What I found is, because of the two part epoxy paste doesn’t really get down into the bottom of the cracks leaving air pockets.

Steering wheels in the 50’s were made mostly of a variety of Bakelite called Catalin. It was a popular type plastic as it was all but transparent and could be pigmented in any color. This type plastic was cast around a steel frame. What I used was a product called Plastifix by Polyvance. It is easy to use and flows easily. The set cost me $39.95. Before I go any further I have to tell you after I had completed my repairs, I happened to accompany my wife to her local nail salon. As I watched my wife getting what they call a fill. I realized they were using the same stuff as I did. They used acrylic nail repair. You can purchase the complete kit of acrylic liquid 120 ml, 3 jars of powder, pen, and dipping dish. For under $18.00 and you get three times as much.

OK now back to repairing. First thing you need to do is remove the steering wheel from the column and remove all chrome and plastic parts. If you are not in possession of a high speed rotary drill and a cut-off wheel, get one. It will make fast work of all the cracks. I used a Dremel but any other brand will do just fine. I used the #426 fiberglass cutoff wheels to V (bevel) the cracks and a V shaped High Speed Steel (HSS) grinding tip. It’s easy to use and the chips flow for faster stock removal with little or no clogging. You can purchase a verity 20 piece bit set for under $10.00 Once you have cleaned out all the cracks, use a citrus-based cleaner to get the wheel as clean as possible. I then followed that up with a wipe down of lacquer thinner. Be sure to use rubber gloves when dealing with these harsh chemicals. Like any job the foundation must be firm. Even here, where you are going to paint the finished wheel it must be super clean. I used an air hose to blow away any dust or debris left on the wheel.

I used aluminum tape to hold broken plastic parts together while I did the plastic welding. I wrapped it half way around the wheel to create a well for the real bad cracks I had. Following the instruction with the Pastifix, I applied small amounts in each crack and allowed it to flow into the crevices. The working time is 3-4 minutes and fully hard in 15 minutes.

Once I had one side done I removed the tape and repeated the process on the other side to make sure I had all the crevices filled completely. Now it's time to start sanding. This is the most time-consuming part. Using finer and finer grit sandpaper, I sanded, and sanded it as smooth as possible. If I found any low spots while sanding, I filled them now before I forgot where they were. There's almost no waste when using the needle dropper method.

After the initial cleaning, I went over the whole wheel with 320 grit paper to give the primer a base to stick to. It’s a good idea to hit this with a precleaner as well. To get the steering wheel ready for primer. I taping off what I didn't want to get painted. Even though I thought I had this steering wheel really smooth, the primer helped me to see the imperfections. I cleaned the steering wheel with a Super Prep. Plastic Cleaner spray for paint.

Once everything was sanded, I cleaned the steering wheel with Super Prep Plastic Cleaner again and applied Plastic Magic Adhesion Promoter to get it ready for the sealer. I use Polyvance’s All Seasons Waterborne Sealer and sprayed the entire steering wheel. I filled in any remaining scratches and pin holes with spot putty and sand them smooth.

I used Imron 5000 paint which is a polyurethane enamel used on heavy-duty trucks, bus and trains. I mixed the smallest amount possible in my pint mixing cup. I applied the paint using a touch-up gun since the surfaces needing paint was so narrow. I allowed the paint to cure for about 24 hours before removing the masking tape.
Yellow bird,
Thanks for the great article. I’m going to definitely check into that !

Eastwood has a kit available. I feel the most important part is time. Do not rush any step. My wheel sat for several months between initial crack filling and rough out, as well as all grades of sanding and more than a year to final paint application when the Torch Red was applied, at the same time as the body.

I need to find someone to repair the steering wheel of my '65 Landau. Any suggestions?

JB Donaldson Inc Phoenix AZ 602-278-4505 Not cheap but excellent quality

I sent my steering wheel to CASCO and they did an excellent job. Due to the condition of my original steering wheel, I purchased a red steering wheel that had no cracks in it and they refinished it and changed the color to blue.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Original Steering Wheel.JPGReplacement Red Steering Wheel Before.jpgReplacement Steering Wheel After.JPG

I haven't had steering wheel refinished, other than horn ring (R&D because it's pot metal) . But, for chrome there's two places I really like in east Tennessee they're only a mile apart and do great work. Tri city plating, and R&D finishing. Quick Google search of "elizabethton tn chrome plating" should get you their numbers. R&D can do pot metal and black chrome, tri city does awesome bumpers and may have some in stock.

Hello all, My 55 steering wheel was also cracked in many places. I went to swap meets and found someone that completely remakes the steering wheel. I sent them a color sample and in about 6-8 weeks I got a brand new steering wheel the color of the car. Of course they know that the 55 wheels were not re-popped so the wheel is very expensive. I had mine done in 2012 so I don't know if they are still in business now.
Website, www.qualityrestorations.com
Hope this helps anyone that needs a 55 steering wheel.
Loren

Thanks, JDJ
Sandy's Bumper Mart, Syracuse N.Y. He just finished mine, great job.

Back