Relocating mirrors on a ‘55

55birdman

55birdman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m sure I’m not the first person to want a passenger side mirror on their 2 seat bird.
If the right side mirror is positioned as far forward as the left, all you’ll see is window post.
I just went ahead and moved both of them to the rear ~2.5”. Problem solved!
1EE01A66-D20B-41EF-8735-EECBC983463B.jpeg976CC30F-E9C0-4046-BB1B-EE2EE7BA912A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I’m sure I’m not the first person to want a passenger side mirror on their 2 seat bird.
If the right side mirror is positioned as far forward as the left, all you’ll see is window post.
I just went ahead and moved both of them to the rear ~2.5”. Problem solved!
Thank you. As you know, you can't see over your right shoulder, when the top is up. An expert told me that I would not be able to see out of a passenger-side mirror, but some people have mounted them to balance out the look of their cars. He also mentioned the possibility of mounting mirrors on the fenders, which I would never do; I'm not British, but I am near-sighted. I would appreciate your measurements, from the front of the door to the front of the mirror's base. Just to be safe, I'll tape the base of the right mirror and ask a helper to move it until the sweet spot is determined.

I have sat in a car/w a porthole top. The windows do help with visibility, but I'm not likely to install them in my top. People identify with the portholes, but I have no complaints, regarding the appearance of the 55 top.

It's interesting. The early Japanese cars were required to have right hand mirrors installed on the right front fenders. Adding right hand mirrors has been a long going discussion and where to place them. I'm old school and swiveling the head was always the safety factor.

Inserted photos using this method-

Last edited:
The relocated front hole is now 3” from the front of the door and 7/8” down from the top. The rear hole is spaced 5-1/2” from this. If they are located much from further back the rear hole could be problematic. If you look at the inside of the door you’ll see the potential interference problem.
Hope this helps.

Back