Relocating battery to trunk 1957

R

Rich57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to relocated the battery to the trunk do I can install a dual brake cylinder and power brake unit. Question: what size battery cables should I use? I'm getting info on various sizes: 4, 2, 1 gauge? I'm concerned about voltage drop for the 8 foot cable length. Has anyone else done this? Thanks for what ever help you can provide.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

According to wire gauge chart
250 amps (that’s what your starter draws under load) for a run if 10’
Requires a min. Wire gauge of “1/0”.
and like Kampy says “wire can never be too big, just too small”

I want to relocated the battery to the trunk do I can install a dual brake cylinder and power brake unit. Question: what size battery cables should I use? I'm getting info on various sizes: 4, 2, 1 gauge? I'm concerned about voltage drop for the 8 foot cable length. Has anyone else done this? Thanks for what ever help you can provide.
Use arc welder cable. it is flexible enough to run to the front with low hassle. O is a good size. Don't go light gauge. You will save money up front with smaller cable but lose in the long run with poor performance and very possibly a catastrophic electrical fire.

Why move it?
I think he said he needed the room to install a dual cylinder master and booster. There is a reason Ford mounted the booster remotely on only the T-bird for clearance issues. The other cars had the booster mounted on the firewall. He needs to do a little more research. before ordering any parts.

Use arc welder cable. it is flexible enough to run to the front with low hassle. O is a good size. Don't go light gauge. You will save money up front with smaller cable but lose in the long run with poor performance and very possibly a catastrophic electrical fire.
I agree, I did the same and ran the new + cable along the RH frame rail and grounded at one of body mounts in the trunk.

According to wire gauge chart
250 amps (that’s what your starter draws under load) for a run if 10’
Requires a min. Wire gauge of “1/0”.
and like Kampy says “wire can never be too big, just too small”
You're right, 1/0 is probably best to use.

I think he said he needed the room to install a dual cylinder master and booster. There is a reason Ford mounted the booster remotely on only the T-bird for clearance issues. The other cars had the booster mounted on the firewall. He needs to do a little more research. before ordering any parts.
You're right, need to check out part fit-up for any booster before I do anything.

Back