Recently purchased a 1989 Super coupe, need advice.

weston.whitesides

weston.whitesides

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've been on a spree of trading cars recently. I started with a free Subaru and worked my way up to an 89 Super coupe (Total price was $650, for all repairs) Its running and driving but has quite a few issues I'm having trouble resolving. The only gauges that work is the speedometer, fuel and boost. It likes to stall out if you don't give it gas at idle and the shifter is broken. I'm having a lot of trouble diagnosing these issues as I cant find parts anywhere for this car. I'm a mechanic (In training) so i have access to programs like shopkeypro and all the tools my college can provide. Shopkey says the obd1 port should have something called a STI terminal to help diagnose check engine codes but the car doesnt have that terminal anywhere (thinking someone may have cut it?)
Anyways, I'm just trying to get this car to a normal running and reliable state. The engine looks like its been replaced and possibly rebuilt. The block is painted blue and everything is super clean. Any information on ANYTHING I have mentioned here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!IMG_20200306_200006.jpg

I've been on a spree of trading cars recently. I started with a free Subaru and worked my way up to an 89 Super coupe (Total price was $650, for all repairs) Its running and driving but has quite a few issues I'm having trouble resolving. The only gauges that work is the speedometer, fuel and boost. It likes to stall out if you don't give it gas at idle and the shifter is broken. I'm having a lot of trouble diagnosing these issues as I cant find parts anywhere for this car. I'm a mechanic (In training) so i have access to programs like shopkeypro and all the tools my college can provide. Shopkey says the obd1 port should have something called a STI terminal to help diagnose check engine codes but the car doesnt have that terminal anywhere (thinking someone may have cut it?)
Anyways, I'm just trying to get this car to a normal running and reliable state. The engine looks like its been replaced and possibly rebuilt. The block is painted blue and everything is super clean. Any information on ANYTHING I have mentioned here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 10508
r
Electra sounds a company that could diagnose the problem with your cluster, they are located in most major cities that I've been in. The idling problem I would maybe replace the throttle position sensor see what that does for you

Back