Power motor window Gear installation 1971

rudesmen
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
non
Hi.
My love start when i saw 1965 but just buy 1971 and i need to change power motor gear (I hope). I take off trim and i dont know how to get out motor. Which screws i need to unscrew?

There are 4 bolts that hold the regulator to the door you’ll also need to remove the lower guide rail, 2 nuts. If you look in the door you’ll see the arms of the regulator operate similar to scissors and that will point you in the right direction you will also need to remove the guide channel from the glass support. If I am remembering correctly that track is screwed to the lower glass support. Once it’s separated from the glass, support the glass and fish the regulator and motor assy out of the door. Now there is a high tension spring on the regulator so clamp your regulator gear to the regulator assy as once you remove the 3 screws from the motor to the regulator the gear will no longer hold it in place and that will spring back FAST! With the motor off it’s one screw holding the cover on and the gear and plugs are there or were there. I’ve had a few gears break over the years but mostly the plugs are trashed. Now with everything out is a marvelous time to clean all the 50 year old crusty old grease out of the tracks and check your rollers also. Not a bad job just be careful off the spring tension

There are 4 bolts that hold the regulator to the door you’ll also need to remove the lower guide rail, 2 nuts. If you look in the door you’ll see the arms of the regulator operate similar to scissors and that will point you in the right direction you will also need to remove the guide channel from the glass support. If I am remembering correctly that track is screwed to the lower glass support. Once it’s separated from the glass, support the glass and fish the regulator and motor assy out of the door. Now there is a high tension spring on the regulator so clamp your regulator gear to the regulator assy as once you remove the 3 screws from the motor to the regulator the gear will no longer hold it in place and that will spring back FAST! With the motor off it’s one screw holding the cover on and the gear and plugs are there or were there. I’ve had a few gears break over the years but mostly the plugs are trashed. Now with everything out is a marvelous time to clean all the 50 year old crusty old grease out of the tracks and check your rollers also. Not a bad job just be careful off the spring tension
and careful with that door glass too! That darn thing weighs a ton! Don't want it coming down onto your hands.

Thank you! It will help but for 4 week because Tbird is now in container and goes to me in Poland.

I would like to make sure I understood correctly. Do I have to remove practically all the elements of the mechanism from the door? Disconnect the glass, remove the vertical rails and the scissors mechanism with the motor?

Remove the regulator assy, that is the scissor looking piece. The regulator will have the motor attached to it. Do not remove the 2 vertical rails/guides. Those are what the attaching pieces on the glass run on. If you remove them you will have to realign your door glass and that is a pain you will appreciate not having to endure. I usually try to make a mark before unbolting any adjustable piece so I line them back up when re installed.

Back