New Purchase - 1970 Thunderbird Landau Sedan

I do. Still have a bit to do to her but she runs and drives. What's the story on your big bird?

I do. Still have a bit to do to her but she runs and drives. What's the story on your big bird?

Mine runs and drives. 19k mile survivor car from South Carolina if you believe the paper trail. It was supposedly a part of a collection, and we bought it in May.

Needed some work (A/C, cooling hoses, everything flushed, new Holley carb, changed all the fluids) to get her running consistently, but as of now, she's been behaving.

Got the exhaust done last week - most of the work that remains is exterior (need to restore the paint a bit, might get a clear coat done to prevent the paint from any further fading, etc - and the interior (driver side door panel is a mess - need to find a quality shop and probably replace/rebuild). I have a friend who might be able to help, but he will be seeing the car for the first time on Friday.

Love bringing her to shows, we get a lot of interesting reactions. There is a good turnout at Cars & Coffee at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and last time there was a '69 four-door and a '63 two-door so I made some new friends.

Would love to hear what you've done - I am all ears!

So we took the plunge and bought "Farrah".

The whole family loves her, and she loves the attention she gets at car shows.

Wondering if anyone here has a 4-door Big Bird?
After searching for many years I finally found a 67 Fordor like I wanted and purchased the car this past January. It had 67,000 miles and was owned since new by one family. Mine is an SL model painted diamond blue with dark blue top with dark blue vinyl and cloth interior.
Mine is currently in the process of full frame off restoration. I lucked across a great candidate for restoration because there was no rust on the car whatsoever except on the firewall where the A/C leaked. I’ll post pics as the restoration proceeds

So far the fuel system is all I've done. Starting with a Holley 750 all the rubber lines, sending unit and fuel tank. Mine had a rocker noise when I first started it but turns out a previous owner installed BBC rocker studs to make them adjustable. I bought it from a collector that had intentions of restoring it but didnt have enough time to make it happen.

1969 owner here too, but a tudor hardtop. Was a stinking wreck when I got her. Took me all last year to get her back on the road. Some day I hope to see her finished.

1969 owner here too, but a tudor hardtop. Was a stinking wreck when I got her. Took me all last year to get her back on the road. Some day I hope to see her finished.
Dont we all wish to finish. I'm not sure anybody is ever "finished" though.

View attachment 4478 My car prior to restoration

Wow! I love those wheels. I am not sure if the wheels on mine are original - they seem to have been a "generic" Ford wheel cover for all sorts of vehicles including the E & F series vehicles. The Marti report lists "Mag Type Wheel Covers" but who knows. I really believe that in researching this car, that it never left the Columbia, SC area until it was consigned in Concord, NC in late April. I have service records for 1985-1995, when I think the car was put away somewhere with about 18,500 miles. I have no idea why there are no records from 1970-1985 - but man I wish this car could talk...

B981B4CF-808E-4C98-91F8-A0A61E409622.jpeg
Wow! I love those wheels. I am not sure if the wheels on mine are original - they seem to have been a "generic" Ford wheel cover for all sorts of vehicles including the E & F series vehicles. The Marti report lists "Mag Type Wheel Covers" but who knows. I really believe that in researching this car, that it never left the Columbia, SC area until it was consigned in Concord, NC in late April. I have service records for 1985-1995, when I think the car was put away somewhere with about 18,500 miles. I have no idea why there are no records from 1970-1985 - but man I wish this car could talk...

The wheels in your pic don’t look original.
These were optional wheels for 67-69

So we took the plunge and bought "Farrah".

The whole family loves her, and she loves the attention she gets at car shows.

Wondering if anyone here has a 4-door Big Bird?

Sure do. '70 in UK NC Charlotte car until 2003

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Back