need help with 95 thunderbird codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last seen
I have a 95 t bird lx 4.6 and the problem is that when you give it more than about 10% throttle it boggs and wont accelerate, but if i slowly give it gas i can bring it up to about 3000 rpms and can cruise on the highway at about 80
. I scanned it and the error codes are 1131 (lack of upstream o2 sensor switch, sensor indicates lean bank #1); 1151 (lack of upstream o2 sensor switch, sensor indicates lean bank # 2); and 0171 (sytem too lean bank #1). The guy who sold it to me said the fuel pump in the tank was going out, but that didnt make since to me because an electric fuel pump doesnt just gradually go out, i have driven it for over a year like this, they either work or they dont, right? Is this guy right or is it my o2 sensor? Thanks any help would be great.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It is entirely possible that it is the fuel pump. They can gradually go...it's not always an on/off, work/don't work relationship. The easy way to tell is to hook up a fuel pressure guage to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and check the pressure. It should be around 40 psi. If it isn't then, your pump is done.

Lack of fuel will give you a lean code (you're getting it on both sides). A lean code will then pull a ton of timing to prevent detonation...that much timing being pulled will kill any power that you should have.

Check the fuel pressure. Replace the fuel pump if needed (probably does), then clear the codes. If lean code returns, then replace the O2 sensors. That is the order in which I'd tackle this issue with my SC.

i went to checker and bought a pressure testing kit, and tested it, about 37 or 38 psi, so im thinking it must be the o2 sensors.

Are you running an aftermarket filter, i.e. K&N, etc? Too much oil on the filter will cause that to happen to the MAF. Make sure to clean and re-oil those filters according to the instructions. The oil flows right through if it is over oiled.

It's good that it was that. I've replaced the fuel pump and it's not nearly as easy. :)

hey guys i just had that same problem with my 4.6 take your throttle body snorkel tube of and clean that egr passige its the back horse shoe that is pluged with carbon clean it all out and put carb cleaner in there and let soak for awhile put all back together and clear the codes

I have a 95 t bird lx 4.6 and the problem is that when you give it more than about 10% throttle it boggs and wont accelerate, but if i slowly give it gas i can bring it up to about 3000 rpms and can cruise on the highway at about 80
. I scanned it and the error codes are 1131 (lack of upstream o2 sensor switch, sensor indicates lean bank #1); 1151 (lack of upstream o2 sensor switch, sensor indicates lean bank # 2); and 0171 (sytem too lean bank #1). The guy who sold it to me said the fuel pump in the tank was going out, but that didnt make since to me because an electric fuel pump doesnt just gradually go out, i have driven it for over a year like this, they either work or they dont, right? Is this guy right or is it my o2 sensor? Thanks any help would be great.
Check fuel pressure,and maf as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back