Installing rear glass on 1956 Tbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I took the rear glass out of my 1956 Tbird to change out the headliner. I am getting ready to put the glass back into the car, is it easiest to put the rubber around the glass then install it. Or is it best to put the rubber on the hard top then put the glass into the rubber seal. Thanks for any help. Jerry

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had a pro replace my headliner and seals. But I think the universal process is to put the rubber around the glass first with a cord or small rope on the inside against the glass but behind the seal so when you need to get it to conform with the inside, you can just pull on the cord to pull the seal and get it to seal against the frame. Not difficult but there is a technique to it. I'm sure there are many U-tube videos on the process.

It isn't hard to do, but you need 2 people.

My wife and I did mine in less than a half hour. Most difficult part was getting the new seal around the glass.
after that soaked a piece of 1/8” nylon cording in mix of water and dish detergent, inserted it into the groove that mates with the top then just stood the top on its nose, set the glass in the opening. While my ever so helpful wife held light pressure on the glass I just pulled gently on the cording and in no time the glass popped right into place.
Now the headliner installation, that was a whole different story. Not so easy and effortless

I took the rear glass out of my 1956 Tbird to change out the headliner. I am getting ready to put the glass back into the car, is it easiest to put the rubber around the glass then install it. Or is it best to put the rubber on the hard top then put the glass into the rubber seal. Thanks for any help. Jerry
Before putting in however you do it wash the gasket with soap and water to remove the molld release from the gasket so it seals
Mustangs put gasket on glass before installing. Hope this helps. Watch a few videos before installing.

The rubber has to be put on the glass first. The assembly pushes in the opening in the top and the stainless pushes in to force the rubber tight against the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back