how to replace fuel sender unit 1966

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
anyone familiar with changing the fuel sender unit on a 1966 and where it is located?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

anyone familiar with changing the fuel sender unit on a 1966 and where it is located?
Generally on fords I have worked on the fuel sender is in the tank. I also find it is accessed on the top of the tank. Your shop manual should help you with this.

In the tank. I did mine but replaced the tank also. It was tedious but not difficult.
The tank is supported by two straps. The filler neck needs to be pulled back, you will want to replace the rubber donut seal at the goose neck.
Make sure you get a seal for an old tank if reusing. I found the new tank seal is slightly different in girth snd diameter. So it will leak if you mismatch.
There is an electrical connection and a vent tube to detach when you have it lowered.
The sending unit snd float are at the top back of the tank. Standard type friction ring lock.
work safe. Empty it first. Harbor freight has a nifty siphon tube to do it with.

I'm with Blairski.. I ended replacing the entire tank and replacing the sending unit while it was out. Now I am not sure on the 66 but I have the 64 and there are two types if sending units. One is the normal, then there is the warning low fuel sending unit. Does your car have the warning low fuel light? Also Before you put the new tank back in, get some metal black paint and spray it.. I love this paint called Hammer..Check your rubber pad between the bottom of the floor and gad tank. It's a heavy rubber so when you go over bumps the gas tank rubs against the rub pad. Mine was fine but the area you live in, salt and grime and break down the rubber mat. Good luck!!

It can be done without removing the tank. Just lift up the back end of the car and allow the axle to droop as much as allowed. The sending unit can then be accessed above the diff. A long screwdriver and tap gently with a lite hammer on the ring will set it loose. I replaced the one on my 64 this way. Hope this helps.
Take care
Ed

Make sure you replace the gasket at the same time and grease it up otherwise it may pinch and leak.

Back