How to fit cobra r wheels on 1988 lx 5.0

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Chance91
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m curious if it’s possible to fit 17x9 cobra r wheels front and back? Ive seen a few turbo coupes fit them with no problems. I went to mount the wheels and they seem to rub on the front gas struts.

Did you check backspacing? It could be there isn’t enough backspacing or offset from where the wheel mounts and how the tire sits causing it to rub.

Did you check backspacing? It could be there isn’t enough backspacing or offset from where the wheel mounts and how the tire sits causing it to rub.
No I didn’t but here are some images where it’s rubbing on strut. Also attached the rotor and lug assembly. For some reason the wheel seems to big for the center bore.

Attachments

• 8E8211C3-D23E-4994-B5B4-D821DECABBC3.jpeg
    8E8211C3-D23E-4994-B5B4-D821DECABBC3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FECB1CD2-6F65-453F-83A8-D2FE74CD0F8D.jpeg
    FECB1CD2-6F65-453F-83A8-D2FE74CD0F8D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
If the wheel is not sitting on the center bore correct I would advise against keeping it mounted. It would be unsafe since the wheel should fit the center bore of the hub. Otherwise you risk sheering off the studs of the lugnut bolts.

No I didn’t but here are some images where it’s rubbing on strut. Also attached the rotor and lug assembly. For some reason the wheel seems to big for the center bore.
If it's rubbing on the shock you're probably going to wide on your tires. Might have to go to a little bit thinner tire. I'm with OAO it should fit snugly on the center bore or it will eventually work loose and break your studs off

Back