Holley Carb for a 1955 TBird

B

Bill Spencer

Last seen
I see several advertisements for Holley Carbs that will work on the 1955 292 YBlock. My question is the
intake manifold. This carb works only with the 292YBlock 4160 Manifold with Flanged Intake. Anyone know how to determine if my intake manifold is a 4160?

1955-79 Thunderbird Classic Holley Carburetor 750 CFM, Electric Choke

Part #:
4160C
Availability: Available - Allow extra time for delivery
Fitment: 1955 thru 1979

1955-79 Thunderbird Classic Holley Carburetor 750 CFM With Electric Choke Delivers Legendary Street Hi-Performance

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If your intake manifold is an ECZ-8425-A and the studs from one corner to the next are approximately 3.75" The you have a manifold that will not fit the modern Holley carburetor that began being used in 1957. Your manifold uses the older Holley "tea-pot" style carburetor.
If your manifold is an ECZ-8425-B and the stud distance from one corner to the next is approximately 5.125", then you may use a 4150 or other "modern" square bore carburetor that began being offered in 1957.
You may or may not be able to use an adapter to mount the 4150. There may be a problem with hood clearance. Be careful and sure before you shut the hood.
Ask for information about the mounting spread on the carburetor being sold to be sure it will fit.

good luck,and buy a shop manual.

Thanks for info. My intake manifold is a ECZ9425B. I was told by others that the Holley should bolt with an adapter to this manifold. I dont know what adapter I can use.

Need to look at the vacuum advance mechanism since 55 thunderbirds had different designs than 56/57. The issue I had was a 57 intake with a autolight 4100 carb. The engine did not run very well and knocked like crazy. The issue was with the vacuum advance with the newer carbs causing to much advance. See chart 9 on the uploaded file. The other part is to update the distributor, but changes to the tachometer went away from the mechanical drive. There are options that could be costly. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• holley_4000_visual_instruction_manual.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 9
The distributors for 55,56, and 57 are different. The vacuum advance is the major difference as far as I know. I am willing to be corrected. By the way you state your manifold is a ...9... not an ...8....
If you wish to use the 4150 or similar base carburetor,it is generally accepted that you need a 1957, or later, distributor for the correct vacuum signal for the advance in the distributor as well as the 56 distributor has two diaphragms. I beliece that one is for a retard.
For a Thunderbird using "modern"carburetor the past options have been; 1. 57 Thunderbird distributor with the tachometer drive, 2. a Mallory distributor for Y-Block with tach drive. At this time I believe that Mallory is not currently producing this distributor, 3. a non tach drive distributor. The non tach drive distributor will negate the use of your mechanical tachometer. As a caveat do not confuse a truck distributor with an hour meter drive for a tach drive.

I see several advertisements for Holley Carbs that will work on the 1955 292 YBlock. My question is the
intake manifold. This carb works only with the 292YBlock 4160 Manifold with Flanged Intake. Anyone know how to determine if my intake manifold is a 4160?

Part #:
4160C

1955-79 Thunderbird Classic Holley Carburetor 750 CFM With Electric Choke Delivers Legendary Street Hi-Performance

A 750 cfm carburetor is much too large for a non modified Y-Block. Something nearer to a 500 is more than adequate. The current popular Edelbrock 650 cfm carburetor is often used but still larger than needed. Edelbrock makes a 500 cfm carburetor. Unfortunately the 650 is usually stocked and ready to sell. The 500 usually requires a special order. Even though it may only be a delay of a few days, who wants to wait, besides "everyone uses the 650. Well the 650 was a response to widespread use of Chevrolet 350 engines. The late 60s and newer 350 has a greater efficiency rating than a Y-Block. I defend my assertion of the 500 thusly. The high performance 289 used a 415 cfm carbureator. at 271 horsepower for 289 c.i. versus a 312 c.i. rated at 245 h.p. If a larger than 415 was needed then it would have been used. Please do not argue that Shelby GT350s used a center pivot 715 cfm carburetor. That engine was modified and the larger carburetor worked great at WOT.

Part #:
4160C

UP AND RUNNING......FOUND TIMING ISSUE WITH CARB VACUUM. MANIFOLD VACUUM WORKS GREAT..
20181102_173106.jpg

Back