Hankook kinergy gt tires for a 1963 non a/c bullet bird?

S

Steve Edwards

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need a set of new tires. Have come across the Hankook Kinergy GTs. I like the look and the narrow whitewall. (Not a trailer queen). But - price is less than half of competing tires. Too good to be true? Their description reads: "Internal construction of the Kinergy ST consists of a two-ply, polyester casing to aid ride comfort and durability, with two wide, steel belts stabilizing the tread. A full-width, nylon cap ply provides high-speed capability. High-stiffness bead filler delivers sharp steering response, and the strong, jointless bead wire enhances uniformity for a smooth ride." One of my main concerns: soft sidewalls?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

See what the load rating is on the tire. They can vary greatly from tire to tire. It might be a real light tire for a lighter vehicle. My 64weighs in around 4200 so I went with a heavier tire when I upgraded wheels. Not all tires are created equal.
Good luck
Ed

Hankook Kinergy GT 21575r15 claims 100T load rating and 1764 lbs per tire, plus 8.8 mm tread depth. Nothing about sidewall strength.

Please dont post to the forums using ALL CAPS. Post revised. Use 4 digit model year to be search friendly & more responses. I.e. 1963

Ok, I will try to help here. Tires don't come with a sidewall rating.
Passenger car tires are rated as "standard load" for weight ratings. 1750 lbs. is pretty good. Speed and temperature ratings vary greatly by brand and price. The softer the sidewall the better the ride.
This shouldn't be an issue with modern tires. Keep in mind when this car was new the only tires available were bias ply.
Unless you're specifically looking for a performance tire these will probably work well.
While a bullet bird may seem heavy, these tires are rated to carry about 7,000 lbs. Almost twice the weight of a bird.
I hope this helps, I have been out of the tire business for quite some time.

Back