Ford has filed a new trademark application for the "Thunderbird"

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ford has filed a new trademark application for the "Thunderbird," suggesting a possible return of the Tbird! Ford has not confirmed this, but with the release of electric vehicles, anything is possible!

2022 Ford Thunderbird
2023 Ford Thunderbird
2024 Ford Thunderbird
2025 Ford Thunderbird (my guess)

Worth noting, Ford has done this previously and nothing came of it but rumors. https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...derbird-trademark-2018-ford-thunderbird.4777/

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since Ford has previously announced no new car platforms EXCEPT Mustang will be in their future, everything else will be SUV or truck. There is even an electric SUV named Mustang coming any day.
I suspect they just wanted to lock up the name so no one else can grab it. An SUV or pickup called Thunderbird is offensive.

How about this? Ford brings out the Tbird-E in 2027 for a four year run. Production ends in 2030 which is the 75th anniversary.

Any one heard more recent information on the 2023 Thunderbird? Latest info I found was that it will be an electric vehicle, possibly an SUV knockoff like the Mustang, or a coupe (the rumor of a mid-engine version to challange the Corvette seem to have faded away).

It appears Ford has copywrited the Thunderbird name, and has developed an electric car division (that recently suffered a setback with batteries). An electric version of the TBird would make sense in this case.

Any one heard more recent information on the 2023 Thunderbird? Latest info I found was that it will be an electric vehicle, possibly an SUV knockoff like the Mustang, or a coupe (the rumor of a mid-engine version to challange the Corvette seem to have faded away).

It appears Ford has copywrited the Thunderbird name, and has developed an electric car division (that recently suffered a setback with batteries). An electric version of the TBird would make sense in this case.
It's pretty routine to renew a trademark for an iconic brand name like Thunderbird, so that could have been nothing, although the trademark specifically mentioned concept motor vehicles in addition to four-wheeled motor vehicles.

In regards to the other electric vehicle, all that stuff is purely from the rumor mill.

With the massive success of the Corvette, I'm sure Ford would like something to compete directly other than the Mustang. Some media outlets have claimed that the Ford Thunderbird is once again being considered for a comeback, however that too is meaningless because I'm sure that has been discussed many times over the years.

If you are in body shop business you were forced to use Chinese parts . A ford hood might cost 150 ford went to court and copyrighted alots of parts now the same hood costs500 if the copyright emblems tbird it will be against the law to sell one or other parts unless there ford authorized. That's what the copyright is about .ford lost the battle to copyright the oval but chev won the bow tie copyright.

Back