Dropping 1957 transmission pan

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Dropping the transmission pan appears straightforward...which worries me. Just disconnect cooler lines and filler tube?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Subject 57 Transmission pan changed to Dropping 1957 transmission pan

Yup :) new gasket and screen are readily available through various sources. Also torque converter is pretty simple to drain as well. Remove inspection cover from bell housing, rotate converter to find drain plug,remove, rotate another 180 degrees and remove other plug.
messy but fairly straight forward.
good luck. Refill is 10 1/2 quarts type F trans fluid. Add about 4 quarts start up for a short bit shut down and add balance of fluid.
good luck.

Yup :) new gasket and screen are readily available through various sources. Also torque converter is pretty simple to drain as well. Remove inspection cover from bell housing, rotate converter to find drain plug,remove, rotate another 180 degrees and remove other plug.
messy but fairly straight forward.
good luck. Refill is 10 1/2 quarts type F trans fluid. Add about 4 quarts start up for a short bit shut down and add balance of fluid.
good luck.
I've always treated transmissions like electrical systems: sleeping demons not to be disturbed unless absolutely necessary, and then only with much trepidation. And a sacrificial goat if one is available. If I drain the torque converter, are there parts to be routinely cleaned/replaced?

I've always treated transmissions like electrical systems: sleeping demons not to be disturbed unless absolutely necessary, and then only with much trepidation. And a sacrificial goat if one is available. If I drain the torque converter, are there parts to be routinely cleaned/replaced?
According to the Ford-O-Matic Shop Manual, the transmission fluid should be changed at 15,000 mile intervals. Other than what 1957Bird has already told you, after thoroughly cleaning the transmission pan, you will want to replace the filter also. The filter is held in place by a metal retainer. After removing the retainer the filter can be removed from the filter tube. Included with the filter are two o-rings that belong on each end of the filter tube. Make sure the filter you purchase is for a Thunderbird Ford-O-Matic. There is a difference in length between the Thunderbird transmission filter and the passenger car filter.

(See attached pictures)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Filter Tube Location.jpg
    Filter Tube Location.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Filter Tube.jpg
    Filter Tube.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Transmission Filter Retainer.jpg
    Transmission Filter Retainer.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Transmission Filters.jpg
    Transmission Filters.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
I've drained my Ford-O-Matic transmission, only to find that the filter screens have become really scarce. CASCO hasn't been able to get them for months. Probably in a container on a ship off the port of L.A. Anyway, if I can't secure a new filter screen, would it be okay to clean this one with mineral spirits and a brush, blow it out well with compressed air, and reinstall? The screen isn't exactly micron sized, but I don't want to reinstall a used filter with $100 worth of new clean transmission fluid if there is wisdom out there that I shouldn't for some reason. Any and all advice appreciated!

Back