Data plate decoding help 1957

C

Charlie54933

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Confused a bit by my 1957 data plate

Code is : 40 FF XK 24 E 3 1

My question is on the date. 24 for day of the month, E for May. However A-M supposedly designates 1955-56 with N-Z designating vehicles from 1957.

My car is definitely a 1957, not 1955. Any ideas on why the data plate doesn't seem to line up?

My first post here, thank you in advance for your answers!

From What I can decipher, it was star mist blue with a matching hardtop. Pleated Colonial white interior. The 'E' is for a 312 with 4 barrel carb. I'm not sure where you find that the month letters were changed year to year.

Last edited:
Thank you...this is part of an article I found on Hagerty.com referencing the dates.
‐---------------
The next characters represent the day of the month the vehicle was built, followed by the month (A through M for January to December for 1955–56, N through Z for the 1957 data plate). For 55–56, dealer code is next (38 possible sales areas, represented by two letters or two numbers together), followed by the “scheduled item number,” which represents the position of that particular T-Bird on the assembly line that day, mixed in with other Ford products. For 1957 Thunderbirds, date information is followed by a number indicating the transmission type (1 = three-speed manual, 2 = overdrive, 3 = Ford-O-Matic), and axle type (1 = 3.10, 2 = 3.56, 3 = 3.70).

Using the data plate decoder, let’s decode your data plate:

40 FF XK 24 E 3 1​

40 = Body Type – All 1957 Thunderbirds were coded 40

FF = Body Color Code – Starmist Blue (The 2nd letter F indicates the hardtop is also Starmist Blue)

XK = Trim Color Scheme – Pleated Colonial White Vinyl

24 E = Production Date Code – May 24, 1957

3 = Transmission – Fordomatic

1 = Axle Ratio – 3.10 to 1

Since your data plate lists the transmission and axle ratio information, that tells me that it is a small data plate. Small data plates do not show the destination code or the scheduled item number. The small data plate was phased in the week of April 15 to April 18, 1957 and used on all 1957 models until the end of production of the 1957 Thunderbirds on December 13, 1957.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Data-Plate-Decoder-Ford-Thunderbird.jpg

Sounds like the article I found on Hagerty was misleading about the alpha assignments by year. I appreciate the guidance!

From What I can decipher, it was star mist blue with a matching hardtop. Pleated Colonial white interior. The 'E' is for a 312 with 4 barrel carb. I'm not sure where you find that the month letters were changed year to year.
The E in the sequence shown above is not for the E Bird. The E for the 4 bbl engine is in the top line, not the bottom line. The E in the sequence above seems to be the month of May

Can someone help me with the production code in my attached file, thank you in advance.
D2A1E534-DE16-49E2-A61C-23206813691E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone help me with the production code in my attached file, thank you in advance

Your car was built on February 1, 1957 (1B), It was sent to Dallas (61), scheduled sequence number = 180. Not sure what the "P" at the end is for...

Your car was built on February 1, 1957 (1B), It was sent to Dallas (61), scheduled sequence number = 180. Not sure what the "P" at the end is for...
Boozeman,

The month of manufacture in the production code is 1B indicating that the car was built on February 1, 1956. If the car was built on February 1, 1957 the month of manufacture in the production code would be 1P.

Using the data plate decoder, let’s decode the data plate:
40 V XH 1B610180P​
40 = Body Type – All 1957 Thunderbirds were coded 40

V = Body Color Code – Flame Red (If a 2nd shows, it indicates a different color for the hardtop)

XH = Trim Color Scheme – Red (White Vinyl Convertible Top)

1B = Production Date Code – February 1, 1956

61 = Dallas

0180 = The 180th Thunderbird shipped to the Dallas Texas district for the 1957 model year

P = The "P" at the end is a code for regular production (not special ordered). The Special ordered cars had the letters A, B, or C depending on several things such as factory discount, etc.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

My data plate reads 40 EE 6XH 18Y 3 1 which i am reading as a 57 bird Colonial White with a White top, but the trim is showing 6XH?? The date is 18 Y? Trans is 3 for Fordamatic and 1 is for 3.10 axle. My serial is D7FH395185? Please advise....Thanks! New owner.

My data plate reads 40 EE 6XH 18Y 3 1 which i am reading as a 57 bird Colonial White with a White top, but the trim is showing 6XH?? The date is 18 Y? Trans is 3 for Fordamatic and 1 is for 3.10 axle. My serial is D7FH395185? Please advise....Thanks! New owner.
Do you have a red interior? The color code for a red interior is XH. DofM November 18, 1958. That is all I have.

Do you have a red interior? The color code for a red interior is XH. DofM November 18, 1958. That is all I have.
The '6' in front of the interior trim, From what I can find it signifies a deviation. The restoration manual mentions that late in the year ( your build date Nov. 18th) they started using '58 trim pieces such as different knobs or other minor trim with the torch red interior.

Thanks...yes, I do have a red interior. You said DofM 1958?? You mean 1957 right? Really appreciate your help.

The '6' in front of the interior trim, From what I can find it signifies a deviation. The restoration manual mentions that late in the year ( your build date Nov. 18th) they started using '58 trim pieces such as different knobs or other minor trim with the torch red interior.
Thanks...I was really wondering about that 6 on the interior trim and that deviation by using 58 trim pieces sure explains it. Appreciate it!

Thanks...I was really wondering about that 6 on the interior trim and that deviation by using 58 trim pieces sure explains it. Appreciate it!
I'm glad I could help with your puzzle. Mine is an early '57 with some leftover '56 parts. I've found that many baby birds built near the beginning and end of their production runs had several anomalies. The supply chain was vey good at using everything available that the sales dept. would not have any objection to.
If you look at the production numbers over the 3 years, the '55s and '56s sold around 15-16K units, the '57 sold over 21K so the supply chain was not predicting that and hence used pre-production '58 stuff. It would be interesting on whatever other parts were borrowed. If something doesn't match up with the main production parts you may look at '58 stuff and not think it's not original.

About to pull the trigger on a new project. A couple of questions...

Data tag on firewall starts E7FH...as I understand it the E code engines should be dual 4V carbs? This one has what appears to be a D code, single 4V engine. Were there any E code cars that only had the single 4V carb, or has someone swapped the engines?

Lower line on the data tag is: 40 QE XJ 20M53 0096P. I have everything up to the "0096P" figured out. What does this last string designate?

Thanks, in advance, for your help. It looks like it will be a great project!

@onepyramid On your future posts, put what your question is about in the subject. Merging your post with a related topic. Instead of putting you have a question, but what your question is about.

Last edited:
To my knowledge
all E code 57 Tbirds came with two 4 barrel carbs
I have heard that some had the two 4 barrels removed and replaced with a single 4 barrel
It's apparent that is not just a rumor. Probably to simplify the top end and better gas milage not realizing they are loosing the originality. If even available what would the manifold & carbs go for now? Almost priceless like parts for the 'F' birds.

Hello,
Looking at a 55 Thunderbird with dealer code BU? That code does not seem to show up on any of decoding charts or tables. Does anyone know there BU is? I'd like to know where this Bird started life.
Thank you!
WD13

Back