Conversion from manual to power steering on a 1956 'Bird

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone done this conversion and what all is involved? Who makes the best most complete kit and is there any rack and pinion options out there. Thanks in advance for any information.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone done this conversion and what all is involved? Who makes the best most complete kit and is there any rack and pinion options out there. Thanks in advance for any information.
Yes there is a rack/pinion. See-

Last edited:
I converted my '56 to power steering. Wanted it to look stock, so I bought a kit from Prestige Thunderbird, but Larry's and Casco offer the same kit. It came almost pre-assembled and just required the pump bolting on and the cylinder fixing to the pre drilled holes in the frame and then mounting to the steering box. Just take care to really apply pressure to the pump pulley to get the belt super tight or it will jump. I had to change the water pump pulley as the belt rubbed with the existing one.

airbus, how extensive were the modifications to your steering column to accommodate the Borgeson conversion? Could you be specific? Photos would help.

There are 2 ways to convert to rack-and-pinion steering-replacing the front clip/bolt-on. I have read reports of T-bird owners' being unhappy with the rack-and-pinion conversion. Turning radius actually increases (not good).

The OEM boom hydraulic system will look original, but it's not cheap, and it isolates road feel/w 1-finger steering.

There is another option. You can convert to electric assist. The steering column will have to be modified, but the unit fits underneath the dash. There is no pump under the hood.

I've not done any of these conversions, so I can't recommend one over another. U-turns aren't fun with manual steering, but the wide turning radius is just as much an issue as the force required to crank the wheel at slow speeds. Once I'm going down the road, I have no problem with manual steering.

Not to extensive. been awhile you use a coupling to join the column to the new steering box (bolts right in).....check with borgeson the installation instructions are there.
You remove all the original stuff underneath (no more leaks)
cost about 1200.00 when I did it a couple of years ago

I can't exactly recall, but it seems like I read that either the Borgeson or the electric conversion cannot be done with telescopic steering columns. It must have been the electric conversion, because I've seen a couple 55-57 T-birds/w the Borgeson conversion. That's probably the route I would take if doing a conversion. I think the Borgeson offers a quicker 15:1 steering ratio. You might also consider getting a smaller steering wheel when converting to power steering. Smaller 56-57-style steering wheels are available, but not 55.

57 Thunderbird power steering conversion. I’ve read that the steering column is too long for the new gearbox. Did you actually shorten the OEM column, or replace it with an aftermarket column? If so, any and all suggestions will be appreciated. And it has an OEM Eaton pump with a Borgeson 800115 conversion box. I need to ascertain which lines I need . I’m a newbie, so be gentle.

Use the 4 digit model year in your subject on future posts as prompted.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Back