Best cleaning product for chrome & aluminum

Marvarden79

Marvarden79

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have recently inherited a 1955 ford thunderbird that sat for a fair few years. Every inch of chrome is covered in dust and a quick spritz of Windex left dust spots. Is there any special cleaner for the chrome and aluminum trim on the interior that I should use?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you'll change your post to that your 55 is in need of chrome and stainless repair, you may find that you get a few more comments.
I myself removed the chrome for replating, then polished and buffed the stainless. Very labor intensive, but well worth it.
Good luck, JH

I have recently inherited a 1955 ford thunderbird that sat for a fair few years. Every inch of chrome is covered in dust and a quick spritz of Windex left dust spots. Is there any special cleaner for the chrome and aluminum trim on the interior that I should use?

It depends on the condition of the chrome and stainless on your car. I personally would not use any Windex or dish detergent of any kind on any part of my cars (except for the windows). Those cleaners tend to have degreasers in them (for cleaning dishes) and remove natural oils from the paints. I have used chrome polish and if I needed something more aggressive I have used Semichrome polish (usually available at motorcycle shops). If you have rust and pitting on your chrome then you need to address those issues. It most likely would not turn out satisfactory if you tried to clean deep rust and pitting and would require replating and polishing.

I have also used a Dupont chrome polish. Another thing I have used was buffing and polishing equipment / products for cleaning up wheels. They worked pretty good also. When I used to use Semichrome paste on my motorcycle covers I could get the aluminum covers to clean up and look like chrome.

To clean my interior chrome/ aluminum. I used mothers 0000 steel wool then. Buffed out with. Buffing pad on my drill gun turn out like new. Alot time but well worth it

There are several great products out there. Three in particular. All three are very different from each other, but used properly all three can be used to make your chrome sparkle. I keep all three around, as I use them to clean up car radios. True, small parts, but the same applies to the big ones.

1. Wheel cleaner. I think what I have right now is Mothers, but there are a few brand names out there. Whatever the brand, look for the word "corrosive" on the label. This is the good stuff. Yes, it means there's a little acid in there, and you need to be careful of what you use it on, but for things like wire wheels it's great. No brushing or scrubbing, just apply it and rinse. Now -- in my case I use it on car radio tuners, and it's wonderful because it cleans up pot metal, brass, and sometimes other badly-corroded metal parts, but on certain other parts it can indeed be corrosive and it will turn them black. But chrome wheels, go for it!

2. Nevr-Dull. This is an interesting product. It's a big can full of cotton-like wadding; you pull off a small amount and rub it on the parts you want to clean. It's great for cleaning stains and pitting; the only downside is that you need to wipe off the residue, just like car wax. But it is a great cleaner.

3. Simichrome. Someone turned me onto this many years ago; for some reason the bikers love it but most car owners have never heard of it. You probably won't find it in an auto store but bike shops have plenty! It looks like a tube of toothpaste. A little dab'll do ya! Put a very small amount on a shop towel and go to town with it -- it cleans up great! I can remember the older liquid stuff that used to come in a can (maybe it's still around, I don't know) but this stuff is like the same thing in a concentrated paste. Again, just a little at a time, and that tube will last quite awhile! Now -- someone else once gave me a tube of something else -- don't remember the brand but it's also in a tube, and it's white instead of pink -- that appears to be much the same thing. But I guess Simichrome is the easiest to find.

Good luck, and have fun with your Bird!

I use FLITZ for aluminum. Haven't used it on chrome yet.

Back