Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClassicMuscle

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Hello everyone, I am looking for some help putting a price on a "barn find" 1986 Thunderbird. My wife's family is clearing out their grandpa's farmyard and need to sell it. It is the 4 cylinder Turbo Coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission. It has been sitting in a shed for over a decade (no one is quite sure then it was last driven or started). They stated that there is a rust spot on the rear quarter, but are unable to see the rest of the body at this point. I know that pictures are worth a thousand words, so should have some in the next couple of days. They are hoping to drag it out of the barn this week. It is in a corner with a Lincoln blocking it, so they were unable to see much else. It will obviously be a project for someone. The car is located in Southwest Minnesota. Any guesses on price ranges for this car that we should ask?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello everyone, I am looking for some help putting a price on a "barn find" 1986 Thunderbird. My wife's family is clearing out their grandpa's farmyard and need to sell it. It is the 4 cylinder Turbo Coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission. It has been sitting in a shed for over a decade (no one is quite sure then it was last driven or started). They stated that there is a rust spot on the rear quarter, but are unable to see the rest of the body at this point. I know that pictures are worth a thousand words, so should have some in the next couple of days. They are hoping to drag it out of the barn this week. It is in a corner with a Lincoln blocking it, so they were unable to see much else. It will obviously be a project for someone. The car is located in Southwest Minnesota. Any guesses on price ranges for this car that we should ask?

Hello. Yes the pictures would be a big help. Also, what do you know about the Lincoln? Older one?

I don't know for sure, but my guess is a mid 90's Lincoln Town Car or Continental. I have not been to the farm in a few years and never inside that barn to see the cars, but her Grandpa drove several of those mid 90's Lincolns through the years.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is a mid 90's Lincoln Town Car or Continental. I have not been to the farm in a few years and never inside that barn to see the cars, but her Grandpa drove several of those mid 90's Lincolns through the years.

Nice. That could be a nice ride too. If it turns out to be a 60s or 70s please let me know.

I sure will. I drove over a dozen mid 90's Continentals through my time and yes they are really really nice cars. I would pick them up for $100 or less when the air-ride went out and people were unwilling to buy a new air strut for them. I would simply swap struts between the cars that I had, drive them until the motor eventually died and then grab the next one. I am in sales and traveled extensively at the time, so they made great cheap road cars. Everyone of them made me a bunch of money considering I was getting federal mileage reimbursement rates. My last one died back when scrap metal prices went through the roof ten years ago. Hauled them all in (14 in total) for $500 a piece. Kind of sad I didn't keep one.

Pictures will definitely help, the areas which could be issues on these Fox body birds, are strut towers, lower doors. Rust is killer. Was the car parked running or was there a issue? The 2.3 is easy to work on and with the turbo they are a blast to drive. There is a site devoted to the Fox body birds/cougars that might be a avenue to explore when you get it out. I sold my XR7 a few years ago(same car but a cougar and auto trans) for 4K. for comparison. I would image the 5 speed will be a bit more appealing but it will come down to condition.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. I have been waiting for pictures. I have still not seen the car in person yet and I will say that the pictures are not the best, but just thought I'd post them anyway. There is some rust in the drivers side rear quarter, but the rest is solid from what I have been told. The car was running and driving in 1998 when it was parked. The mother had bought it for one of the kids who apparently got in trouble and the car was parked. Has not moved since. They have not tried to start the car yet as it will need a fluid change first. Car is black exterior with black and silver leather interior and has a sunroof.

Attachments

• Thunderbird - 01.jpg
    Thunderbird - 01.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Thunderbird - 02.jpg
    Thunderbird - 02.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 0
  • Thunderbird - 03.jpg
    Thunderbird - 03.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Thunderbird - 04.jpg
    Thunderbird - 04.jpg