Backseat Seatbelts 64

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
my 64 convertible has no rear seatbelts. Does anyone know where to attach them?

That's a good question. I would assume they're bolted to the floor, at least that's how aftermarkets are made. I'm not sure if Ford even offered rear belts in 1964; if so they weren't popular.

Ssnake-Oyl offers a rebuilding service for original belts, and also offers new universal types. If original rear types are out there, finding and restoring them would be quite a find. Then again I don't know of any concours judges who knock off points for installing belts in the rear, as it is indeed a safety feature.

In Florida, you must use seat belts in the front seat, or in ANY seat if you are under 18. If your car was built before the 1968 model year and does not have belts, their use is not required. If you're under 18 and sitting in the back seat of a 1964 car, I don't know -- consult a lawyer. Many states require seat belt use in the back seat as well, but I think all states exempt pre-1968 cars. New Hampshire does not require belt use at all.

If you want or need rear belts, you might have to settle for aftermarkets. Then if someday you should find originals, go for them. Of course use your own discretion. In my case I'm simply not interested in rear belts. Why? For starters, in over 20 years I can't think of even a single instance where somebody went for a ride in the back seat. Assuming the interior gets redone and I use the car more, back seat use will be rare. No need.

my 64 convertible has no rear seatbelts. Does anyone know where to attach them?
I had to install a rear belt as my little boy is under 8. Eay t to bolt through floor . Took me 10 minutes . I purchased on line with old school chrome air plane style buckle and white to match intwriotc

My 64 hardtop doesn't have them. I was thinking about getting them. Turquoise is a hard color to find. If you find orginal rear seat belts, they are usually rusted past repair.

I had to install a rear belt as my little boy is under 8. Eay t to bolt through floor . Took me 10 minutes . I purchased on line with old school chrome air plane style buckle and white to match intwriotc
Thanks for the reply. What did you bolt them to? This is all about safety for my kids as well.

Get the kit That comes with anchors . Drill holes in floor , follow instructions for anchor washers . EASY
Drill hole on floor and use anchors provided in seatbelt kit. Make sure u buy with anchors as buying separately u may not get the proper washers

I believe Snake-Oyl products makes repro seat belts, and the day will come when I buy new ones for my car. The originals are fine except they're very hard to adjust. But the underlying question is, did Ford offer rear belts in 1964? I would think so, but don't know. Front belts were standard, and rear ones were most likely an option. I could care less about rear belts, as nobody ever sits back there, and it would be a rare occasion for it to ever happen.

I don't know how the laws are in your state. In Florida, all FRONT seat occupants need to wear belts, and anyone under 18 needs to wear a belt wherever he/she sits. You're exempt if you drive an older car that doesn't have them.

With that in mind, I have a 4-year-old granddaughter. She needs a car seat, and there's no way to install one in this car. So I don't know how the law works in that regard. When she's a little older she might have to sit in the front seat because the car has no rear belts. Again, not sure how the law works. But she lives 500 miles away, and has never ridden in this car anyway. If this were to happen on a regular basis, naturally I'd be getting rear belts, and possibly a seat that would work with them. But for that possible once-a-year ride, I'll comply with whatever the law says but physically I couldn't care less. Remember we did fine without them in 1964 and before.

Gary, I hope you can find a way to install that car seat. Important that the younger generation be inducted into the TBird realm at an early age, and I know she'd enjoy a ride with Grandpa in his favorite classic:)

Doug

Great opportunity to scope out the integrity of those rear floorboards (gulp!)

I don’t think you’ll see bolt holes, you should find dimples in the panel for where they would mount, I think they were about a 20 dollar option at the time.

Dimples are in the kickup panel behind rear seat. Mark and drill according to specs.

Attachments

• F2F32AB4-6C51-427F-A8D6-D368A00C2927.jpeg
    F2F32AB4-6C51-427F-A8D6-D368A00C2927.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Back