Another starting problem

64TBirdXM

64TBirdXM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 64 and when I turn the key it clicks and then goes dead. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect then the power is ok. I replaced the solenoid but the car behaves the same.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Probably bad connections. Either on the battery terminals or the connections on the starter, solenoid, or grounds from the engine to frame and firewall

I forgot to mention the battery is new. Would a bad connection cause all power to be lost until battery is disconnected and then reconnected?

Yes. If your battery connections are dirty/corroded it can reduce the carrying capacity of the circuit. The connection can pass small amounts of electricity but not large amounts. It is not unusual to have things like dome light, guages/lights, and bells/buzzers when you turn the key on, but when you go to crank, it exceeds the current capacity of the connection and stops the trickle of electrons. Sometimes returning the key to off, will restore the connection, but not always. Sometimes it will not reestablish on it's own. I would assume that you cleaned the battery cable ends. The corrosion that causes this condition will not be highly visible. It will look more like oxidation or glazing. I have not seen this caused anywhere other than the battery connection, but maybe it's possible.

Thanks for the response, I will give that a try .

Back