After trolling for three years - bought a '65!

Hallzee

Hallzee

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After trolling BaT for years, looking for the perfect "first time classic" for me, I won a 1965 Wimbledon White Coupe in very good condition.

Can't wait for her to arrive; shipping for MD to CA. Have a spot ready for her in the garage. Going to try and figure out how to get better than 12 MPG! LOL :p

Disturbance.jpgDisturbance2.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

She looks like a beauty! I wish my 1975 would get that kind of mileage. To get that it would need to be going downhill with a tailwind. Guess that’s why it has a 25 gallon tank.

Yes, we don't own these cars for their superior gas mileage. My '64 averages 12 mpg with a 670 cfm Holley and opening the secondaries on a regular basis.

Where in California? I'm in the Santa Cruz area.

Great score! The 65 has an amazing interior - I'm jealous of that beautiful wraparound rear seat - and is the first car made with the famous sequential taillights (tell any Mustang friends they were swiped from YOUR TBird). It's a great car - enjoy it!

BTW if you REALLY want to help your mileage - and aren't "faint of heart" - this caught my eye some time ago. Bear in mind that maybe the biggest gas hog under the skin of that beautiful bird is the transmission.
I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has attempted something like this:
Real Overdrive would be a gas-mileage game-changer!

Yes, we don't own these cars for their superior gas mileage. My '64 averages 12 mpg with a 670 cfm Holley and opening the secondaries on a regular basis.

Where in California? I'm in the Santa Cruz area.
I'm up in the Placerville area.

Great score! The 65 has an amazing interior - I'm jealous of that beautiful wraparound rear seat - and is the first car made with the famous sequential taillights (tell any Mustang friends they were swiped from YOUR TBird). It's a great car - enjoy it!
I've literally LOVED the '65 because of the high-tech tail lights since I first saw one in '65, driving at night with my dad.

It was one of those rare occasions where I actually had shotgun (family of 8, and I was kid number three - you know how that works...), and we were diving North on the I-5 in Orange County, CA.

I saw these totally SPACE AGE turn signals ahead when a car changed lanes. We caught up - and there it was. I will never forget the first time I saw the cutting edge sequential turn signals! :)

BTW if you REALLY want to help your mileage - and aren't "faint of heart" - this caught my eye some time ago. Bear in mind that maybe the biggest gas hog under the skin of that beautiful bird is the transmission.
I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has attempted something like this:
Real Overdrive would be a gas-mileage game-changer!
A game changer indeed! You go first, and let the rest of us know how it went! lol

That artical isn't exactly accuate, there was an O/D option for all cars backe then starting in the 50's I belive and its was the hone-o-matic, they were added in the driveline or in the case the ford 9" rear could have one bolted to it directly....If i ever forund one I would give it a go because it a least is period correct, gear vender has taken up the slack in this market but not sure if they will work because their version only mounts to the transmission and i'm not sure if they have one for the original criuse-o-matic

Was that the one on Bring a trailer? It looks beautiful. wish mine looked that good. have fun forget about the gas. just have fun

Good luck with the new car. 65 is the nicest year, but I'm a little bias. Looks like its in really nice shape. What color is the interior?

Good luck with the new car. 65 is the nicest year, but I'm a little bias. Looks like its in really nice shape. What color is the interior?
The interior is red vinyl, and original. She's a survivor!

Attachments

• Disturbance3.jpg
    Disturbance3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Disturbance4.jpg
    Disturbance4.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Disturbance5.jpg
    Disturbance5.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
I believe that is Burgundy code 56, mine is Red code 59. That is super nice. I wish mine had power windows. Again good luck and enjoy the ride.

I believe that is Burgundy code 56, mine is Red code 59. That is super nice. I wish mine had power windows. Again good luck and enjoy the ride.
MIne's red vinyl code 25.

The interior is red vinyl, and original. She's a survivor!
That interior is a beautiful. My’75 is also a survivor. I don’t think anyone ever sat in the rear as the seatbelts still have the protective plastic from the factory.

Back