97 TBird mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and probably like a lot of folks, I came here hoping some kind soul can help me out.

I have a '97 LX Limited Edition with a 4.6L V8. It has 56K miles on it. I'm the original owner and this car has been babied since day one.

I got a check engine light and the code reader said the problem was the camshaft timing sensor (sorry, don't remember the code but I can get it if it will be of any help). Initially there was no driveability issue, but after a week or so I started to get severe hesitation accelerating from a stop.

Swapped out the sensor, and the hesitation went away. The light stayed off for a day, but came back on the next day. The code reader again said that the camshaft timing sensor was the problem. I've had this car with a very reliable mechanic and they used I believe it's called Identitech along with their own knowledge and are coming up empty as far as solving the problem. They went to the local Ford dealer and talked to their senior tech who is supposed to be a 4.6L guru, and told him all of the troubleshooting steps they had taken. He said he had never seen a problem like this and could not offer any suggestions.
The only guess that my mechanic is offering is that the timing chain has slipped, but it's only a guess. Pulling the timing cover is not something I want them to do unless it's more than a guess, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to second their hunch or offer some other possibilities to check out.
Thanks very much for any help you folks can offer.
Hutch

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My instinct is that the Ignition control module is failing. That will many times cause the cam sensor to fail as well. I'm not too familiar with the '97 4.6, but on my SC, it has a ignition control module, that when failing, will cause a code for the cam sensor. It's a hunch, but one way to start looking. You should be able to have it tested at any parts store.

When the cam sensor fails, it will cause a starting issue (computer has to "guess" the position of the cam and on a V8 will only get it right about 1 in 4 times) and it will cause an erratic tachometer. Generally there will not be too many driveability issues, but as you stated, an occasional hesitation may be felt.

Test your ignition control module...that's where I'd start.

(PS, I NEVER trust dealership mechanics...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back