97 T-bird intake crack ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
I have a 97 T-Bird that needs a new intake maniflold as it is the second one to crack. Ford knows about it, but won't do anything for us. First question: Is there a better aftermarket intake manifold for this V-8? Second question: While I'm in there, what are some mods that I should consider for upgrading performance? It has the 4.6 V-8 in the LX. This car is just about cherry and I want to keep it. Any thoughts out there? Thanks, and this is my first post in this forum.

I didn't think there would be any answers to this kind of question here. After all it is a FORD forum. Found On Road Dead :rolleyes:

The replacement manifold, from Ford, has metal cast in with the plastic in the areas that crack on the original.

I've replaced several, but never the second time.

Gearhead99 said:
The replacement manifold, from Ford, has metal cast in with the plastic in the areas that crack on the original.

I've replaced several, but never the second time.

Thanks for the reply. I bought an aftermarket intake that has modified the problem area and supplies all the gaskets and modification parts. The price was considerably less than what Ford wanted for their's. This is the second manifold to fail. Ford replaced the first one when it was covered under warranty, but won't do anything now.

I have this same problem with my thunderbird, did you install the manifold yourself and where did you get it?

jaraxle said:
I have this same problem with my thunderbird, did you install the manifold yourself and where did you get it?

Yes, I just finished it myself. The manifold I got has a much improved cooling system part made of cast aluminum. And the gaskets are moulded into the manifold making it easier to install. The engine is still in the relearning mode, but runs pretty good and the low coolant light stays off. The hardest part of the job was labelling everything so I could put it back together. While you're in there, replace all the emmission hoses and plug change is a snap with everything off the top of the motor. Best thing about this project, I saved my sister $1200! :cool:

There is very little aftermarket intakes available? There is an updated intake available from Ford and parts stores that has an aluminum crossover. This is a direct replacement intake and is rather costly.

Performance intakes for the 4.6 is very limited. There is only a few availabe from after market companies and they are very costly. The only one that is somewhat reasonable in price is Fox Lake's P-51 intake( www.foxlakeracing.com ). I am not sure this will fit under a TBird's hood.

Now for what Ford offers, Ford offers the FRPP intake( similar to 2001 Bullitt intake but works with 96 - 98 heads and FRPP Heads ) which cost about $1600.00 and the install kit is about $300.00, similar to the FL P-51 in price. This intake requires some EGR modifications and Hood Bracing to be cut.

Also, the 99 - 04 4.6L Mustang GT intake will work. This intake is cheaper than the replacement one for the 96 - 98 4.6 and is a lot cheaper. The intake and parts can be had new for around $200.00 if you have a good Ford Parts person, I can recommend one as well. This intake breathes a lot better than the 96 - 98 intake, dyno graphs have shown about 15 HP increase across the board and 25 - 30 HP increase at around 6000 RPM. However it is not a direct replacement.

This route I recommend you get an 01+ intake as it has the aluminum crossover( won't crack ) The 99+ mustang only uses one sensor while 96 - 98 4.6L have two in the manifold. You need to drill and tap a hole ( 3/8 NPT )in the Aluminum crossover, this is the easiest solution to the two sensor problem.

What else you need to do is the following. You need the coolant tube from a 99+ mustang, the one that goes in the valley underneath the intake. If you have auto climate control, you have to modify the coolant tube to accept the sensor that is on the 96 - 98 tube. You need a 99+ O-Ring for the water pump and the alternator bracket for the 96 - 98 intake with Aluminum Crossover. The 99+ mustang one, will not work and the 96 - 98 one for the plastic crossover will not work. Also you will need to use either 96 - 98 intake gaskets and use RTV around the intake ports to seal it or 99+ intake gaskets and RTV around the coolant ports.

The Bullitt intake will work as well but you need to do the mods that the 99+ intake and FRPP intake require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back