'89 LX - Keep blowing transmissions...

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1989 LX - Keep blowing transmissions...

I have replaced the transmission three times already on this car. The TV cable was never adjusted correctly after the first time. Had it rebuilt, blew again. Went with constant pressure valve body to eliminate TV cable and use it only for shifting. Hard shifts for OD. Today, on my way to work, heavy slam into OD. Lost OD and D so it is just a matter of time before everything else goes. I have a T-5 5-speed manual for a project car but could this be swapped into this beast? I'm getting tired of wasting money of AOD transmissions!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

have replaced the transmission three times already on this car.

Sounds like you need another car or another mechanic. This car is 31 years old.

1989 LX - Keep blowing transmissions...

I have replaced the transmission three times already on this car. The TV cable was never adjusted correctly after the first time. Had it rebuilt, blew again. Went with constant pressure valve body to eliminate TV cable and use it only for shifting. Hard shifts for OD. Today, on my way to work, heavy slam into OD. Lost OD and D so it is just a matter of time before everything else goes. I have a T-5 5-speed manual for a project car but could this be swapped into this beast? I'm getting tired of wasting money of AOD transmissions!
Are you cleaning the lines and the cooler before installing the trannys?

I don't know what a "TV" cable is, but there must be something wrong with the setup. The Ford AOD trannys in this era are pretty stout. I have a '90LX with 350K miles and no problems with the AOD.

I don't know what a "TV" cable is, but there must be something wrong with the setup. The Ford AOD trannys in this era are pretty stout. I have a '90LX with 350K miles and no problems with the AOD.

TV = Throttle Valve
;)

Back