67 Transmission hesitates, clunks into gear

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Neil
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We're just finishing up a bunch of mechanical work on our 67 Tudor and she's running great. One issue though. When I put the car in R or D, it hesitates a few seconds and will often "clunk" into gear. After that it's fine. Fluids are fine and U bolts are fine. Looking for thoughts. Thanks

I updated your subject from "67 Transmission question" to "67 Transmission hesitates, clunks into gear".

Sounds like something is hanging up. Perhaps something is up with the valve body not shifting correctly when the gear is selected. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? A clogged filter can possible cause sluggish shifting.

Sounds like something is hanging up. Perhaps something is up with the valve body not shifting correctly when the gear is selected. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? A clogged filter can possible cause sluggish shifting.
Thanks. Fresh fluid and filter was put in not long ago.

Check and make sure your vacuum line going to the trans has vacuum. Also check out the u joints for the clunking sound. Jack the car up and grab the drive shaft close to the u joints and push up and down and sideways and see if the u joints are good and stiff or if they have play & sloppiness in them. If They do replace them

Check and make sure your vacuum line going to the trans has vacuum. Also check out the u joints for the clunking sound. Jack the car up and grab the drive shaft close to the u joints and push up and down and sideways and see if the u joints are good and stiff or if they have play & sloppiness in them. If They do replace them
I don't know about a 67, but on a 69 my car has 4 u-joints in a double cardan joint. Pretty fancy. Pretty fricking PITA to replace.

Back