66 repainting question

S

SpacemanSpiff

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
First time post... So I just bought my first t bird... 1966, Q code 428. Super excited and already planing lots of things. Question... Need to repaint it... And don't know much about the paint from the 60s. Can I spray a seal coat over it then spray base then clear... Or will I have to strip all the paint off??? (the old paint is fine... Except for a few spots I need to fix - bare metal showing etc..)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The way I painted my '63. I sanded it, primed it, color coated it, clear coated it, wet sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper then buffed it. It is quite a process. If you have never done that, try to find an experienced person to help or do it for you. All the necessary ingredients are pretty expensive. If done correct it is worth it.

In a previous life I did custom motorcycle painting... When metal flake and bobber were popular. I just have never done anything over older paint. I always went to bare metal so I knew what I was working with. This is completely different... And I REALLY don't want to take it down to metal! So I'll do my body work, high build primer, sealer, color, clear, cut n buff.
Thanks!

If you use a good urethane primer sealer under your top coat you should be in good shape

If you use a good urethane primer sealer under your top coat you should be in good shape
Perfect! ... I have only. Used hok, but was looking to try spi products (their universal clear is amazing) hok is super pricey

Back