66 Rear seat speaker

old timer

old timer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know if their is a wire running from the radio area to the rear seat speaker? My convert has the grill but no speaker. I would like to install one.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In all likelihood you did not have a factory installed speaker or it was remove. If removed, the wire should be under the carpet if not, run new wire from the radio to the newly installed speaker. No Bluetooth in 1966!

In all likelihood you did not have a factory installed speaker or it was remove. If removed, the wire should be under the carpet if not, run new wire from the radio to the newly installed speaker. No Bluetooth in 1966!

Thank you. This car is untouched . The car was ordered , so maybe they did not have the solid panel so they used the grill. The question did they run the speaker wire so that dealer or person could add the speaker. Has anybody found this to be true?

Here's the deal: original AM radios had a two-pin speaker connector. Original AM radios with fader controls had a 4-pin connector, as did all AM/FM sets. I'm talking 1964-66 cars. I'm not sure if a fader AM set was available in 66, as the AM sets I've seen are all leftover 65 sets, but the fader wiring for the AM/FM sets are different in 64-65 and for 66. Same connectors but wired differently.

That being said, a rear-speaker car has an additional wiring harness. It has a four pin connector for the radio, a two-pin connector for the front speaker, and three wires headed for the back. One of those is ground, connected to a lug under the glove compartment. the other two go to a rear two pin connector that's similar to the front speaker.

For what it's worth, my car is in the shop, and the fellow had removed the back seat. While back there I asked about replacing that speaker (nolt original, for a stereo). I gave him a 6x9 to try and see if it fits under the two posts. It DOES! I now have a 6x9 back there; better than the 5x7.

Do you think that Ford Prewired it in case The dealer could install a rear speaker for a costumer?

When new, the car either had a solid package tray, or a louvered one with a speaker and speaker wiring. Does the radio have a two-pin or a four-pin speaker connector? That could also determine if the car had a rear speaker. The car is now over 50 years old; who knows what has happened to it in the meantime. You either have a speaker harness or you don't. Are you planning to use the original radio or something else?

I am planning using the original AM/FM radio ,this what came in the car. The rear NOS speaker I have has two connectors on it. As I stated it has the grill but, no speaker. The car has never touched since it come from the factory. Everything is original except tire, Gas and oil.

If your car has the original AM/FM radio (check to make sure -- model TOB6TBS, and it has two power transistors mounted on the side -- the 65 has only one) and you have the package tray with louvers, then it seems quite clear that you had a rear speaker. You should have a rear speaker harness. Check the front, by the radio -- there is a four pin connector for speakers, is there a four pin plugged into it or only the two pins from the front speaker? If four pins, you have the harness! Look for the two-pin connector in the back. If you don't, get one. They're not too hard to install, just run it under the glove compartment through the console. There is one ground lug. If you need a harness, check with parts dealers -- BUT -- important -- make sure the harness came off a 1966. The 1964-65 harnesses are different and are not compatible with that radio.

Back