65 Thunderbird transmission cooler lines replacement

B

BigAl

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The transmission cooler lines on my car have somehow been tweeked and bent near the front of the motor. I bought new Stainless lines and until looking at the job I didn't realize that they might be impossible/difficult to replace with the motor in the car.
Hopefully someone here on the site has done this with the motor in and can guide me through it.
Thanks,
Al

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have replaced them. Not specifically on this car but the process is about the same. You need a double flange kit (can rent them from the parts house) as well as fittings, along with the tubing and a tubing bender (looks like a tightly wound slinky). There should be clips that hold the tubes in place.

Get the car up on stands, where you can work under it. Pull the old lines, (photos help), measure, bend, put the fittings in place and do the double flange. Reattach. Just a bit of a pain, messy, and tight. Check YouTube for how to do the double flange. Good luck.

Restrain,
Thanks for your reply but it looks like you're talking about starting the job with straight tube and bending it to fit. I bought pre bent tubing and it just looks like it's not going to go into position easily. Might have a different thought about the job when I start it, but right now it sorta looks difficult to weave the pre bent tubing into position around everything that they need to pass and/or go around such as the fuel pump, oil filter, etc.
Al,

Back