'65 No Vacuum To Heater Control Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badluck13
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently purchased this '65 and it needed a heater core which I replaced but now I am not getting vacuum to the heater control valve,double checked to make sure no line was pinched or un done so with further readings I found that the regulator valve on the heater box may be bad and read that bypassing by running a straight line from valve to brown side of heat selector and a line straight to the black of the selector and still no vacuum.....am I missing a step or something? Any info or help would ever so be appreciated ….. Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

behind the blower fan is a vacume valve, behind that there is a tee in the main vac line...in mine that is where my problem was, but it's diffacult to reach...not sure if that is your problem but I would check it to rule it out.

This should have worked for you. The brown port on your control head isn't getting vacuum which is very weird. That port is part of a manifold which feeds vac to all ports. Are any of the other functions operating, i.e. vents, etc.?

Underneath the control head check for a short (2") vac hose like in the pic; it's a conduit from the main vac source to the manifold vac for all ports including the brown port.
PICT0019.jpg

There are other vacuum leaks that could be happening. Aside from vac leaks, the control head itself could be blocked at the manifold which you can clean but that involves some work. FYI, no parts are available for this thing except used. But cleaning and replacing vacuum hoses clears it up.

If and when you do get the workaround to work (straight line from water valve to the brown port), keep in mind your heater will be on all the time and you won't be able to control it. If you ever want to control it again you'll have to fix or replace the temperature regulator valve and return the vacuum hose the way it was.
photo 3 (18).jpg

This should have worked for you. The brown port on your control head isn't getting vacuum which is very weird. That port is part of a manifold which feeds vac to all ports. Are any of the other functions operating, i.e. vents, etc.?

Underneath the control head check for a short (2") vac hose like in the pic; it's a conduit from the main vac source to the manifold vac for all ports including the brown port.
View attachment 11319

There are other vacuum leaks that could be happening. Aside from vac leaks, the control head itself could be blocked at the manifold which you can clean but that involves some work. FYI, no parts are available for this thing except used. But cleaning and replacing vacuum hoses clears it up.

If and when you do get the workaround to work (straight line from water valve to the brown port), keep in mind your heater will be on all the time and you won't be able to control it. If you ever want to control it again you'll have to fix or replace the temperature regulator valve and return the vacuum hose the way it was.
View attachment 11320
Thanks for the response.....I do have all functions working as in vents,defrost,heat,and a/c ,just no actual heat....am I just running the lines incorrectly ? I was told to bypass TRV to run a vac line straight from heater control valve to brown port on control head and a line from canister straight to black on control head and from my understanding this would give full heat when selector was slid over and no heat when slid to off....this poor cars vac lines have been hacked over bad especially when a Rochester carb was put in place of the Autolite 4100....I have been slowly trying to get her put back to somewhat normal but heater and left turn signal is kicking my butt and frying my brain lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back