65 10th Anniversary

mikenann
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All
I have a 1965 10th Anniversary Thunderbird that was build in Feb 1965. It was ordered for California. It has the Blue air cleaner and Valve covers. Is this correct? According to research the blue started on the 66 models. I see others that have the gold colors. I do not believe the engine was changed due to the originally of the engine bay.
Tanks Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes I have a similar link. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTt it also has the original engine tag which also indicates a 2/65 build date. go wonder.
mike

Hi All
I have a 1965 10th Anniversary Thunderbird that was build in Feb 1965. It was ordered for California. It has the Blue air cleaner and Valve covers. Is this correct? According to research the blue started on the 66 models. I see others that have the gold colors. I do not believe the engine was changed due to the originally of the engine bay.
Tanks Mike

According to the copy of the Vintage ****************************** Original factory Specifications (including Concours, Rules and judging forms) the '64 and '65 should have a Gold metallic Air cleaner, and '65 Rocker/valve covers should also be Gold metallic, no script , angular.

Cheers

The 1964 engine is black, with Gold air cleaner and valve covers. The gold color is a light gold, I forget the name of the color, and the valve covers have THUNDERBIRD written on them. The 1964 I believe is also black, but the air cleaner and valve covers are Ford Gold. The 1966 engine is completely blue. As for variations on this, who knows.

Ditto for my '64. By the way, Thunderbird HQ and Bird Nest both sell spray cans of the gold color, can't remember what they call it.

Correction on my earlier statement. The 1964 is a light gold color, the 1965 is Ford Gold.

Corporate blue started in 66, 65 would be black block and gold valve covers. I’ve had close to a dozen special landaus here between my late father and myself and only one was blue, it was painted blue after a rebuild. The special landaus if I recall started in February, do you know the production number of the 4500 for yours? I’ve found my dads whimbeldon white special landau but haven’t as of yet found his emberglow. Truly a unique not very well known car you have there, enjoy it!

February built date, and the engine tag also says 2/65 built, The paint on the air cleaner looks old as well as the 390 decal.

Every thing on the engine makes it appear that it has never been out of the car for rebuilt. The motor mounts were broken, The exhaust manifolds are rusty with no new bolts or washers present. There appears to be 50 year old grime on certain places.
Go wonder.

I was curious if you knew the sequence # of your car not so much the production date. The Special Landaus had a dash plaque which has the owners name engraved along with the sequence number out of the 4500 Special Landaus made. It was far from a exact science as they didn’t coincide with the cars serial #

Yes this is on the door and it has the owner's name which is the same as the one in the owner's manual which I have. IT IS #1950.
Which again seems crazy since it was made on Feb 15 and sold on March 28. Also it has the
closed emissions system being it was for California. But again as an article said those numbers were mailed and not necessarily in sequence.

Never seen one mounted to the door, all I’ve seen were mounted on center console area. I’ve had a late January production thru early March here thru the years. And your right there is no pattern to the sequence, I have badges from 3525 and 2821 here and they were in the same order production wise. Many years ago I tried to research the sequencing to production info, I was told then was they were dealer issued and installed, only logical thought I could come up with was ford sent a stack of badges to the dealer and then the dealer issued them as each car was sold which could then account for them not being in order with actual car serial number. I had the emminger invoices for the cars I had here also and they made no mention of sequence # so wasn’t even something at the time Ford even knew. Regardless, great car, enjoy it and good luck with it. It’s not my fathers old car so my search continues

Back