64 tbird window motor removal

thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell or show me how to remove the window motor, some of the older ones could be dangerous to fingers ...lol...and I need to change the gear.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell or show me how to remove the window motor, some of the older ones could be dangerous to fingers ...lol...and I need to change the gear.
We have a 65 bird and we gutted the body only comment here is on the rear 1/4 windows you may want to run the operator to close it as that compacts the operator and makes it easier to remove.

As a large group of people are working /worked on this car some did not keep good notes on how things came apart and we could really use some good step by step instructions on reassembly.

the front doors have 3 bolts holding them to the inside of the door. once you remove these, the whole regulator is free best to prop the window up with a piece of 2x4then you can slide the rollers out of the window tracks. the quarter windows are in a case you have to remove the whole unit to get to the motors and regulators. usually there is nothing wrong with the motors themselves. soak the transmission end and gear in carburator cleaner and remove old dried out grease then regrease liberally and give them a try before remounting them.

When doing mine ,I cut piece wood to lo a er my window down to half mast. Then removed bottom bolt connected to door frame and then you have 3 screws and one bolt you have to remove to get regularor out

Hi,
I’m replacing passenger door electric motor. The new motor was only 6 months old before it gave up the ghost. Not cheap.Not impressed. Bought it and 2 quarter window motors at the same time. Quarter windows work flippantly, so decided to not use at all.My auto eleco is checking the door motor out as I type. At first look he commented , “ cheap Chinese design”. I bought these from Victoria, a thunderbird parts dealer.
What I’m asking is , are there modern, compatible power window motors that I can use in place of the originals or knock off motors.
if anyone can point me in the right direction or have any advice it would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks
TBird 65 coupe hardtop

Maybe you should just have your original motors rebuilt. Places such as Midwest Remanufacturing in Bedford Park, IL (near Chicago) 800.834.5829 should do this.

Thanks.
I was under the impression that the replacement motors that I had purchased were genuine Thunderbird parts. They look exactly like the ones on Tbhq, Pat Wilson etc. And exactly like the motors that I had pulled out. Thanks for the tip
I might try for something modern & more reliable, if that is possible.
Cheers

Hi,
I’m replacing passenger door electric motor. The new motor was only 6 months old before it gave up the ghost. Not cheap.Not impressed. Bought it and 2 quarter window motors at the same time. Quarter windows work flippantly, so decided to not use at all.My auto eleco is checking the door motor out as I type. At first look he commented , “ cheap Chinese design”. I bought these from Victoria, a thunderbird parts dealer.
What I’m asking is , are there modern, compatible power window motors that I can use in place of the originals or knock off motors.
if anyone can point me in the right direction or have any advice it would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks
TBird 65 coupe hardtop
Bought mine from larrys birds nest 250.00 each but exact factory fors replacement motor also ,there was an early and late motor for the 64 birds .good luck hope turns out well

Cut off piece of wood to hold window up half mast. Then you'll see to nuts one on each side to disconnect motor from your regulator. Then youl have 3 bolt that are 5/16 to remove gear drive from regulator. I just replaced both my window motors and very time consuming hope this helps good look

Attachments

• 20200421_030527.jpg
    20200421_030527.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200421_030510.jpg
    20200421_030510.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200623_030905.jpg
    20200623_030905.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
3 bolts hold it in, once removed you can slide rollers out of the window track. Easiest if window is up. You can brace it up with piece of 2x4 to save your fingers

Cut piece word to hold window up half way ,.doconnect wiring ro moror on top of mortor
Easy just cut piece wood to hold window halfway up. Disconnect neg battery cable disconnect wiring to motor, on top you'll have to 5/16 bolts remove them and 7/16 bolt that's at base attached to door. That's it. Motor slide out from regulator. No need take regulator out if.you feel gears are good. Tight space but best way to do it.

Attachments

• 20200421_030510.jpg
    20200421_030510.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200421_030527.jpg
    20200421_030527.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200421_030544.jpg
    20200421_030544.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Remove top to bolts which will be 5/16 then bottom nut that holds motor to brace on bottom of door. Also use piece word to lower window half way out .regulator should slide right out of window brackets. FYI if you have large hands have fun

Hi,
appreciated.
Thanks
TBird 65 coupe hardtop
I used larrystbird.com no problem getting original motors will need numbers of old motor

Back