64 stock intake/tri power

thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 64 has a stock 4 barrel but I was thinking about maybe getting a six pack pack intake and carbs for two reasons...first they are just cool to look at at and theoretically it should improve mileage under normal driving and cruise, if anyone has any input on this setup I would greatly appreciate it :)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 64 has a stock 4 barrel but I was thinking about maybe getting a six pack pack intake and carbs for two reasons...first they are just cool to look at at and theoretically it should improve mileage under normal driving and cruise, if anyone has any input on this setup I would greatly appreciate it :)
If your car is an "M" code then it came with tri-power. However I do not think that was an option in 1964. There are two different tri-power manifolds. There is the more common one available for passenger cars. The less common manifold is specifically for Thunderbirds. The Thunderbird manifold has less rise to fit under the hood of the thunderbird. the carburetors may be the same, I do not recall. The part numbers may be for 401 h.p. 390s, 405 h.p. 406s. there may be an over the counter part number that may vary. It wil possibly end with an A for the passenger cars and with a B for the Thunderbirds. I cannot tell you if the passenger car model will fit on your car. It has been well over 50 years since I worked on a tri-power FE. good luck in your quest. Again a long time ago. The center carb would likely have a different part number than the front and rear carburetors. Most 3 carb set-ups have only a choke on the center carburetor and factory linkage is progressive. The center carb will also be jetted differently from the end carburetors. I would think that there is an FE group on-line that can tell you more. Another thing that may be on the M code set-up could be a dash-pot to slow the de-accelleration with the automatic.

Any way good luck to you.john

My understanding is that '64 390s were Z code and P code motors. So, unless you have the police interceptor motor, yours is a Z code. On my Z code motor, I'm running a 670 cfm Holley and it seems to work well. Recommend caution to not over carb your motor, more cfm is not necessarily better from economy and power standpoints.

Hi,
RE: appreciated comments by
jack-in-sac,
Looking for conversation comments about :
  1. I have a 1965 390 with tri-power, seems OE, and manifold is stepped font to rear. Carbs are right, not sure what I have.
  2. Also, I am just about to fabricate 'a fuel return system' to help address bad idle when hot.

Hi,
RE: appreciated comments by
jack-in-sac,
Looking for conversation comments about :
  1. I have a 1965 390 with tri-power, seems OE, and manifold is stepped font to rear. Carbs are right, not sure what I have.
  2. Also, I am just about to fabricate 'a fuel return system' to help address bad idle when hot.
I do not know why you need a return line unless you have too much fuel line pressure, Do you know the line pressure at the carburetors? You should not really need a return line to the tank.A simple fuel pressure regulator should cure any excess with a mechanical fuel pump. good luck, J.

Is your ignition system up to snuff? You might want to make sure it is before chasing a fuel issue.

thanks everyone for the input, just in the research stag right now and this is a great start :)

If your car is an "M" code then it came with tri-power. However I do not think that was an option in 1964. There are two different tri-power manifolds. There is the more common one available for passenger cars. The less common manifold is specifically for Thunderbirds. The Thunderbird manifold has less rise to fit under the hood of the thunderbird. the carburetors may be the same, I do not recall. The part numbers may be for 401 h.p. 390s, 405 h.p. 406s. there may be an over the counter part number that may vary. It wil possibly end with an A for the passenger cars and with a B for the Thunderbirds. I cannot tell you if the passenger car model will fit on your car. It has been well over 50 years since I worked on a tri-power FE. good luck in your quest. Again a long time ago. The center carb would likely have a different part number than the front and rear carburetors. Most 3 carb set-ups have only a choke on the center carburetor and factory linkage is progressive. The center carb will also be jetted differently from the end carburetors. I would think that there is an FE group on-line that can tell you more. Another thing that may be on the M code set-up could be a dash-pot to slow the de-accelleration with the automatic.

Any way good luck to you.john
pretty sure the one not for Thunderbird is on an angle because the other cars engines leaned back unlike our cars.

A friend of mine just bought a 1963 factory roadster 89Z tri power 390. It runs like a clock. It is very complicated and unless you’re really good at making a conversion to tri power I wouldn’t dare to attempt it. Unless it’s an original set up on an original motor I think you’re asking for big problems. Just my opinion.

Agreed! The manifolds, heads, cam, all that stuff makes a difference in the ability of the motor to handle increased intake air flow. It's a package deal.

Back