64 rear bumper removal

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone,
2 part question.
1. There are only 10 bolts holding the bumper on?
2. Is there a trick to take the bolts off. The last three the nut spins with the bolt. They are not stripped I just can't anything behind the bolt to stop the nut from spinning. Two of them I was able to stop them from spinning with bent nose pliers but I can't seem to getbto the nut with anything.
Thanks
Scott

You will get more responses on the forum if you choose a subject that summarises your post.

"64 tbird rear bumper" could mean anything. I revised it for you.

Attempting to remove 4 main. Bolts behind tail lights assembly. Try get. Bolts out but they have square nuts behind them. How do we acsess these nuts

Attempting to remove 4 main. Bolts behind tail lights assembly. Try get. Bolts out but they have square nuts behind them. How do we acsess these nuts
You don't remove them. They are held in a 'channel' that keeps them from spinning (hopefully!), but allows them to slide left and right for adjustment.

I had to cut the nuts off of those bumper bolts to get the bumper off. Once I cut them off with a cutting wheel or whatever method you can achieve this, I then was able to re-weld new bolts by removing the cage that holds the original bolts in. You could bend it back and then reattach the cage if you like. Don’t really have to though if you weld the new bolts on. This is labor intense but it’s the only way to repair it correctly if you want to get the bumper on securely. I have done this to at least two other Thunderbird’s. Seems that this is an Achilles’ heel for the flare birds. Good luck and be patient.

Ok anyone have the steps to remove the rear bumper. Shop manuel leads to mor confusion then helping

First remove the taillights (trim and lenses). Once the housings are loose, the wires must be disconnected. There should be a “plug/ connector “ just inside the hole in the body. Be careful pulling this apart (so you don’t break any wires). I have used two pair of pliers, one one each side of connector, and slowly twist/Rock them apart. Now, from underneath, remove the two screws that hold the license plate light. The light can then just hang by the wires. If you want to remove it, the plug/connector should be located in the trunk. Onto the bumper: four large bolt heads behind the taillights on each side. The “captured “ nuts may spin while removing these bolts. If so, an “open end wrench/spammer” can be used to hold them. (They are “square” nuts, so a socket or a closed wrench won’t work). Once those four bolts are out, there are two more smaller bolts on each side, along the bottom of the tail light opening. Remove those, and the bumper should fall off. It’s heavy. Get help.

Once the bumper is removed, the Thunderbird emblem/center section can be removed. It’s attached with four screws on the back side of the bumper. There is a strip of rubber that actually holds the emblem in place. Save it. Or a reproduction is available.

First remove the taillights (trim and lenses). Once the housings are loose, the wires must be disconnected. There should be a “plug/ connector “ just inside the hole in the body. Be careful pulling this apart (so you don’t break any wires). I have used two pair of pliers, one one each side of connector, and slowly twist/Rock them apart. Now, from underneath, remove the two screws that hold the license plate light. The light can then just hang by the wires. If you want to remove it, the plug/connector should be located in the trunk. Onto the bumper: four large bolt heads behind the taillights on each side. The “captured “ nuts may spin while removing these bolts. If so, an “open end wrench/spammer” can be used to hold them. (They are “square” nuts, so a socket or a closed wrench won’t work). Once those four bolts are out, there are two more smaller bolts on each side, along the bottom of the tail light opening. Remove those, and the bumper should fall off. It’s heavy. Get help.
Thanks yes i felt the square bolts thur the oval opening behind taillights but could not for the life if me figure how to get anything on thise bolts to remove them. Didn't see rhem from bottom of rhe car . But im gald started to just xut them off but knew i have one hard time upon installing again

Once the bumper is removed, the Thunderbird emblem/center section can be removed. It’s attached with four screws on the back side of the bumper. There is a strip of rubber that actually holds the emblem in place. Save it. Or a reproduction is available.
Thanks yes i felt the square bolts thur the oval opening behind taillights but could not for the life if me figure how to get anything on thise bolts to remove them. Didn't see rhem from bottom of rhe car . But im gald started to just xut them off but knew i have one hard time upon installing again
Thank you big clay your life saver

Thanks for help. This has been most challenging vehicle ive ever attempted. But very cool and fulfilling way to spend my spare time

I would think if you took out the tail light you might have access. It's been many years since I had my '66 but there had to be method to their madness, You have to know or envision which order it was assembled.

Last edited:
How did you get them off?
I didn’t realize that the pan behind the bumper comes off with the bumper! They were easily accessible after it was removed. I repainted the pan and polished all the chrome and aluminum. Can’t wait to get it installed.
I ordered new mud flaps they are hidden in the rear pan. Then I’ll be ready.

I would think if you took out the tail light you might have access. It's been many years since I had my '66 but there had to be method to their madness, You have to know or envision which order it was assembled.
Yep. That’s what I did. Just had to think about it…

Back