64 hose broken from rear axle

Dj-Dan
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Happy 4th Week coming up my T-Bird Enthusiasts!! I decided to re-do all the brakes from master/booster to the back with lines and cylinders. I'm in the passenger rear and I see this broken rubber hose coming off the top of the axle. What is the purpose of this hose and how important? Maybe one more question, I can't figure out how it goes on, even if I buy or make a new one. Help out a brother T-Bird-er who is still discovering the 1964's. Thanks and Happy Cruisin'!! Dan from Forest Hill, Md.

Attachments

• 20180630_073337.jpg
    20180630_073337.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
I have never seen a rear brake hose before. Always the fronts but never the back. My question: can I separate the brake hose from the separator or is it one piece. I took the assembly out and heated off the two 3/16 but can't seem to find a seam that it is a two piece assembly. Thanks for your wisdom T-Bird conasouers. Dan from Forest Hill Md.

Attachments

• 1530361233467627036361412829481.jpg
    1530361233467627036361412829481.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 15303612709743517240603794430398.jpg
    15303612709743517240603794430398.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
I have never seen a rear brake hose before. Always the fronts but never the back. My question: can I separate the brake hose from the separator or is it one piece. I took the assembly out and heated off the two 3/16 but can't seem to find a seam that it is a two piece assembly. Thanks for your wisdom T-Bird conasouers. Dan from Forest Hill Md.
The hose is a vent for the “sealed” rear axle. It stops any pressure from building up internally and blowing out your seals. There should be a short nipple/fitting on the top of the axle tube. The hose connects there and runs over/up to a hole in the body/frame of the car. The hose is not pressurized, nor does it need anything on the end. If it is cracked or broken, just replace it with a piece of 3/8” fuel line hose.

Uh, I think we're talking apples and oranges. Yes indeed there is a rear axle vent hose, but it has nothing to do with the brakes.

There are two front wheel brake hoses but only one rear. I know this rear hose is a bit on the expensive side, as it's only available (to my knowledge) from Thunderbird parts houses, unless you can find a place that custom-builds them.

I rebuilt my entire brake line system several years ago. I don't recall anything special about removing/replacing that hose, and it seems to me I was able to reach it without crawling under the car -- just a wheel off.

I have a very strong suggestion: if your brake lines are original, replace them. One in particular -- the line that goes to the rear. It goes down from the master cylinder, then makes a bend to run to the back. That bend has a little flat plate to protect it, but over the years it gets caked with mud and has a tendency to rot the brake line at that point. One day you hit the brakes and surprise! You can buy a complete set of stainless steel lines, highly recommended. Overall they're easy to replace; the only one that's a bit tough is the one that runs to the right front wheel. It runs along the firewall, and you have to thread it around a bunch of hoses and other fittings. Aside from that it's easy, and you'll be glad you did it. Replace all three hoses at the same time and you'll have peace of mind.

Bear in mind that when the hoses go bad, they don't necessarily let go. I guess they can, but the big thing to watch is swelling inside. You apply the brakes and then they're slow to release. Whichever, it's a good idea to completely rebuild the entire brake system on your 50-year-old car with a single master cylinder.

I happened to see the broken hose Gary while re-doing the brakes. ..I am replacing everything Gary. I found a T Brake to replace the original. I bought another front brake hose and I am golden now. ...Thank you for all of your help. This boat needed to stop and police officials frown on Using an anchor to brake this beast.

Great! Believe me, I speaker from experience. I've still got a hole in the garage sheetrock, guess how it got there?

I suggest replacing the brake system on old Tbird s, saving the pedal and maybe the master cylinder.
The brake lines are rotten! Metal or rubber!

I am ripping out all old lines for safety. This is one heavy car to stop. I appreciate your advice. Thanks so much!!

That hose is the vent for the axle assy. Look on top of axle housing and you will see nipple sticking straight up. Get new hose and install on nipple. Jim

You can purchase premade lines. I like the Birds Nest.

Happy 4th Week coming up my T-Bird Enthusiasts!! I decided to re-do all the brakes from master/booster to the back with lines and cylinders. I'm in the passenger rear and I see this broken rubber hose coming off the top of the axle. What is the purpose of this hose and how important? Maybe one more question, I can't figure out how it goes on, even if I buy or make a new one. Help out a brother T-Bird-er who is still discovering the 1964's. Thanks and Happy Cruisin'!! Dan from Forest Hill, Md.
Hi That hose is a vent most diffs have one or a some other kind

Back