64-66 fuel tank differences?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Car was built 2/64, two months later Ford started putting vents on the tanks. My car has no vent and I would prefer to have a tank with a vent. Are tanks interchangeable and if so is there a vent hose with a check valve that needs to be attached to vent pipe? (charcoal cannisters and EPA was not in existence yet) lol

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Car was built 2/64, two months later Ford started putting vents on the tanks. My car has no vent and I would prefer to have a tank with a vent. Are tanks interchangeable and if so is there a vent hose with a check valve that needs to be attached to vent pipe? (charcoal cannisters and EPA was not in existence yet) lol
Why mess with something that already works. EPA issues are almost non existent. New cars are so efficient that the occasional old car on the road is not an issue. Geeze cal is so restrictive you can't even fire up a BBQ without a permit.

Would a vented gas cap suffice? The tank on my 64 is not vented and when it was parked with a full tank of fuel, the fuel would expand and push past the o-ring in the filler neck. A vented gas cap cured the problem.
Take care
Ed

Why mess with something that already works. EPA issues are almost non existent. New cars are so efficient that the occasional old car on the road is not an issue. Geeze cal is so restrictive you can't even fire up a BBQ without a permit.
Would a vented gas cap suffice? The tank on my 64 is not vented and when it was parked with a full tank of fuel, the fuel would expand and push past the o-ring in the filler neck. A vented gas cap cured the problem.
Take care
Ed
Yup, Go with the original physics. Old & new often don't mix well. Vented gas cap will do the trick even though the EPA would like you to re-plumb the whole thing.

I agree I like simplicity but ventless tanks are very rare and the vented ones are pretty common that’s why I was asking if a vented tank will fit in a non-vented car

I agree I like simplicity but ventless tanks are very rare and the vented ones are pretty common that’s why I was asking if a vented tank will fit in a non-vented car
Just make sure you buy a venting cap. You need to have the venting so you don't run into the issue of the fuel pump can't suck because the tank can't vent. They are designed to let air in but not let it out so do don't smell gas when sitting.

Back