62 t bird exterior chrome removal

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to remove all the exterior chrome on my 62 to prep it for a paint job, and I'm a bit daunted. I'm starting with the front bumper, and I removed all the bolts that have the round heads on them. What else holds this bumper in place? Also need advice on removing all the other chrome, so if you know anything please say so

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The stainless trim that runs front to back below the window line is held on with clips. Stick a stiff putty knife between the car body and the trim. Pry the edge of trim out and up to release it from the clip. There's a clip about every 16". The solid chrome pieces at the back of theses strips are held on with nuts and bolts and are removed from the trunk area.

Hi, check also that on the ends of each trim line its either screwed or held with a nut from behind. The doors have a couple either end of the trim on the middle and upper by the handle. Re the front bumper, you have to undo the bolts on the chassis which leaves the bracket attached to the bumper, the domed chrome ones hold the bracket to the bumper but only on the lower edges - it won't come off otherwise!

Hi, check also that on the ends of each trim line its either screwed or held with a nut from behind. The doors have a couple either end of the trim on the middle and upper by the handle. Re the front bumper, you have to undo the bolts on the chassis which leaves the bracket attached to the bumper, the domed chrome ones hold the bracket to the bumper but only on the lower edges - it won't come off otherwise!
Do you have any idea how to reach the back nut in the door trim??

Do you have any idea how to reach the back nut in the door trim??
Lol yep right pain - are you ref the upper trim across the handle or middle belt line- both end up virtually stripping most of the door components. I had to remove the door lock to gain access.

Hi, new to this forum. Just got a 62 convertible and I'm stripping the car to do all the hidden rust repair and repaint. I found one of the fasteners by the handle, but not the other. The service manual was not clear about removing the lock assembly. Thank you for the information.

Hi, new to this forum. Just got a 62 convertible and I'm stripping the car to do all the hidden rust repair and repaint. I found one of the fasteners by the handle, but not the other. The service manual was not clear about removing the lock assembly. Thank you for the information.
No the manual isn't that clear - you do need to move the locking stuff out of the way to see. Yes its a pain just to remove the trim having to do that but you cannot get to it otherwise.

Spent 4 hours today trying to get the lock, etc. out of the door. Got a couple of pieces to drop out, but none of the needed parts. I can't get two screws that join the two main pieces together to loosen and a few of the clips refuse to separate. I got the door handle rod removed and a piece that looks like it might be a guide for the window, but nothing else. Is there a certain order I should be following other than what the manual says? Thanks again for the infor.

Spent 4 hours today trying to get the lock, etc. out of the door. Got a couple of pieces to drop out, but none of the needed parts. I can't get two screws that join the two main pieces together to loosen and a few of the clips refuse to separate. I got the door handle rod removed and a piece that looks like it might be a guide for the window, but nothing else. Is there a certain order I should be following other than what the manual says? Thanks again for the infor.
From memory I had to take off the catch mech as this is quite a large part and obsecures your view of that screw! Mines still in bits 'waiting' for a friend to do the paint!

Hadderz
Finally got it - what a pain. The hidden bolt was located directly above the pushbutton for the latch. The manual didn't say anything on how to remove the pushbutton, but I did get it out. Thanks.

Back