61 steering problem

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
paul4913

paul4913

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a steering problem on my 61. At low speeds the car "wanders" slightly from one direction to the other. At speeds above about 50 with a slight input in either direction, the car jerks farther. The car has new professional installed steering gear, ball joints, shocks, rebuilt brake system, new radials, alignment (x2) the "rag" joint is in good condition. The 61 shop manual specifically list causes and solutions for both issues, but all of the listed remedys have been tried. Any one have any ideas? Thanks

When was the last time the front wheel bearings were checked?

When was the last time the front wheel bearings were checked?
Sorry, I forgot to mention the front wheel bearings and races were replaced about 150 miles ago by the shop that trued the drums. Could be defective drums?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the front wheel bearings and races were replaced about 150 miles ago by the shop that trued the drums. Could be defective drums?
No, not likely at all. I'd still look at the pump and it's valves. I have no mechanical knowledge of these but I think they are adjustable. If you have the shop manual, there should be a good section on how it works and servicing.

Replaced the power steering pump with rebuild, no luck with the jerking. I read on on the forum that the tires should be 40 psi., that solved the wander issue. I took the car to a restoration shop, hopefully they can find the problem.

Replaced the power steering pump with rebuild, no luck with the jerking. I read on on the forum that the tires should be 40 psi., that solved the wander issue. I took the car to a restoration shop, hopefully they can find the problem.
The way you describe the way the front end was rebuilt I would assume the 'A' frame bushings were replaced. If so, there is some other geometry issue involved. If the wheel is jerking at speed that is a major safety issue. There HAS to be some sensitivity issue.

Back