57 generator mounting bracket

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
For my 57, does anyone know the correct length of the two bolts that hold the generator mounting bracket to the front end of the block? The two I pulled out are different lengths, and I'm suspicious. I can find no reference to these bolts in any illustration manual or parts catalog. And I'm not confident enough that I'm reading the Ford Text Manual correctly.

If they fit when in use they are likely correct. It is not unusual for there to be different length bolts in the front dress of an engine. If it was not broken don't fix it is my motto.

For my 57, does anyone know the correct length of the two bolts that hold the generator mounting bracket to the front end of the block? The two I pulled out are different lengths, and I'm suspicious. I can find no reference to these bolts in any illustration manual or parts catalog. And I'm not confident enough that I'm reading the Ford Text Manual correctly.
i restored an untouched 57 several years ago and if i remember right, there as a short and a longer bolt attaching the bracket. if i get a chance tomorrow i will check the one i have now.

I've been cleaning-up the engine bay this winter. Took lots of pics but apparently not enough. Will somebody look at the attached pic to see if I have the generator brackets mounted correctly. The small stabilizing bracket has a longer leg and a shorter leg. I have the longer leg postioned at the engine in the pic. I need to get this right before adding pulley, belts, etc. BTW are the two 5/16" bolts that hold the main bracket to the engine 3 inches long? Someone had a 3" and a 2 3/4" holding that bracket. The bracket thickness is the same as well as the casting they hold on the engine block. The 2 3/4" won't have many threads holding. Also, don't know which was in which position.Thanks in advance.
generator.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been cleaning-up the engine bay this winter. Took lots of pics but apparently not enough. Will somebody look at the attached pic to see if I have the generator brackets mounted correctly. The small stabilizing bracket has a longer leg and a shorter leg. I have the longer leg postioned at the engine in the pic. I need to get this right before adding pulley, belts, etc. BTW are the two 5/16" bolts that hold the main bracket to the engine 3 inches long? Someone had a 3" and a 2 3/4" holding that bracket. The bracket thickness is the same as well as the casting they hold on the engine block. The 2 3/4" won't have many threads holding. Also, don't know which was in which position.Thanks in advance.
View attachment 16265
I called CASCO's restoration shop that specializes in '55-57 T-Birds. They said those original bolts are 3 1/4" long which provide sufficient threads. FWIW, one is a through-hole and the other is a blind hole. Do not go any longer on the blind-hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you install the bolt in the through-hole, apply a drop of blue thread sealer on the threads of the bolt to prevent oil or coolant from leaking through the threads of the bolt.

Attached are two pictures of the generator on my 1955 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueGenerator Mounting (2).JPGGenerator Mounting.jpg

Back