'57 carb, need dashpot?

PaxAmericana

PaxAmericana

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All!

I am currently rebuilding my automatic 57's carburetor. It has a Holley 4-barrel 4160, list 9834-2 carburetor. My father took the carburetor off more than a year ago and has no documentation of what he did. As I am putting it back together, I noticed that I don't have the dashpot, is this a problem? Should I find one?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A dashpot is used on vehicles with an automatic transmission, or power brakes. The dashpot is an anti-stall device, used to temporarily hold the throttle valve open upon deceleration and long enough to burn the fuel still in the manifold.

Adjusting the Dashpot
  1. Block the wheels and apply the parking brake just in case the transmission kicks into gear.
  2. Warm up the engine and place the transmission in neutral.
  3. Turn the dashpot adjusting screw until it no longer touches the stem. It is important that the dashpot does not interfere with the idle speed.
  4. Set the idle speed.
  5. Set the dashpot adjusting screw clearance to .05"with the stem pushed all the way in.
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back