56 turn signal question

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know the correct orientation of the turn signal canceling ring. Looking from the front of the steering wheel how should the gap in the ring be clocked?

Does anyone know the correct orientation of the turn signal canceling ring. Looking from the front of the steering wheel how should the gap in the ring be clocked?
This is from 55
20190428_153946.jpg20190428_153948.jpg20190428_153951.jpg20190428_153953.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached is a picture of the part that I was talking about. What is the correct clocking of the ring when mounted on the back side of the steering wheel when viewed from the front of the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 13318.jpg
    13318.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
The opening is oriented to the 9o clock position. If you look at the 9 o clock position in the photos you can see the recess where the signal lock and cancel fits. As you rotate wheel to the left the bottom side of the ring will push that recess up clearing a right hand turn signal. Double check the position of your recess, and orient the ring opening to match.

Thanks Tater Salad, That makes good sense, my ring is about 180 from where it should be. It worked most of the time but it just didn't seem right to me. Thanks again for the help.

Here are two pictures of my original steering wheel before I replaced it.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
000_3613.JPG000_3620.JPG

How does the cancelling mechanism come out on my 1957? The wheel that drops into the detent is gone. I've got the part and round spring for the button. how do I change it out?

This should help: rosecitythunderbirds.org/turn-signal-switch.html
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to know. Going to print it out and put in my shop manual. I didn't even think of checking the cam ring and there is definitely a pretty deep grove. knowing I can just flip it over and not having to buy a new one is a great hint. Also not using white lithium grease is a good hint. I WAS planning on using it as it doesn't harden as much as black grease. I'll just use some P.B. max and not the P.B. blaster penetrant on re-assembly.
That thing hasn't worked right in so many years. If I had only known how easy it is.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to know. Going to print it out and put in my shop manual. I didn't even think of checking the cam ring and there is definitely a pretty deep grove. knowing I can just flip it over and not having to buy a new one is a great hint. Also not using white lithium grease is a good hint. I WAS planning on using it as it doesn't harden as much as black grease. I'll just use some P.B. max and not the P.B. blaster penetrant on re-assembly.
That thing hasn't worked right in so many years. If I had only known how easy it is.
I got the new canceler in but had to adjust it a few times as I discovered that the old one with it's grinding shaved off some of the 'hips' that holds the roller in place at the end of it's travel were quite worn and would barely keep the signal on. I may have to go back, clean it up with solvent and lay down some JB weld to build those hips up a bit.

Back