55. Where is the voltage regulator located on 1955 bird ?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
HRUVDT564
Last seen
Can someone let me know the voltage regulator is located on my 55?
I think its in the driver side bay by horn relay.

Lost my mechanic and am trying to sort things out

I looked for one a little further away, but that's the only one I had. I didn't keep the regulator when I converted to 12v
12 volt regulator goes in same place correct ?
That's exactly where it is located. View attachment 14542
I looked for one a little further away, but that's the only one I had. I didn't keep the regulator when I converted to 12v
Sorry but don't you need the regulator if it is converted ?

12 volt regulator goes in same place correct ?

Sorry but don't you need the regulator if it is converted ?
Not with an alternator, they are internally regulated. Some keep the body and cover as a wiring block terminal, and to maintain the original look.

Mounts in the same place
Actually not all alternators are internally regulated. When I set up my '57 for an alternator I used a first generation Ford alternator. It does ot have an internal regulator. I use a regulator for a tractor that mounts on the back of the alternator. If you use a kit it usually uses a GM one wire alternator. I did not use a kit. I just figured out what I wanted to do and DIYed it.

Actually not all alternators are internally regulated. When I set up my '57 for an alternator I used a first generation Ford alternator. It does ot have an internal regulator. I use a regulator for a tractor that mounts on the back of the alternator. If you use a kit it usually uses a GM one wire alternator. I did not use a kit. I just figured out what I wanted to do and DIYed it.
My bad, mu post was for newer generators from the late 70s.

Can someone let me know the voltage regulator is located on my 55?
I think its in the driver side bay by horn relay.

Lost my mechanic and am trying to sort things out
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Voltage Regulator Location.JPG

I had a guy convert the gen to 12v and replaced the 6v regulator to 12v.

Back