55 converted to 12 volt starter solenoid question

HRUVDT564
Last seen
When i bought my 55 it had 12 volt battery and I drove it a few months until I started my overhaul.
I want to install new starter solenoid as I didn't covert the car from 6 to 12 I'm not sure what solenoid was on it ( nor anything about the starter) should I get a12 volt solenoid ?

Note:
I have new wiring harnesses ( firewall to headlights and firewall to dash) and am having them installed.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I also did the conversion but retained the original 6v solenoid. No problems yet and I'm using the original 6v starter.
I have a 12v one from a mid 70's Harley that I had planned to use but so far it has been necessary.
I think these solenoids are common/generic and shouldnt be a probem to locate if necessary.

The starter solenoid is a momentary switch. You energize the solenoid and it connects the starter to voltage. The electricity is used to energize the coiled wire that creates a magnetic field to actuater the plunger that makes the connection between battery and starter. If you only use it momentarily to start you may be fine. However if you have an episode of hard starting the increase in time that the solenoid is "on" could damage it. Why worry, just replace the solenoid , they are not expensive.

I'm sure the original 6V starter spins like crazy and could or will give it up eventually. I have a completely rebuilt, unused 12V for the 6 to 12 V conversion or for a 57. If needed or interested contact me Bob, 770-401-6784

Back