55 carpet installation

sylvurhfox

sylvurhfox

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am starting to install the carpet kit for my 55. Is there something I need to know before putting down the padding and carpet?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Buy heat barrier to go under the carpet padding to help keep heat out of the car.

Just lay it in, no glue (would have answered sooner but there is a dumb time rule about helping answering others questions)

Concoursparts.com has two different kits for heat shield that goes under the carpet mat.

Do you have to remove the entire power seat to replace the carpet?

Originally, the carpet was shipped with, but not installed in, the car, and the carpet was installed by the dealer. The carpet was screwed down at four points and then nailed to the floor. That's how my 55 carpet was installed (the nails are still in the floor). In other words, the dealer installed the carpet after the seat was installed at the factory. On the other hand, you could remove the seat, glue down the carpet, and reinstall the seat, which might help to hold the carpet in place. However, if you glue the carpet, it will make accessing the wiring underneath it for repairs difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting to install the carpet kit for my 55. Is there something I need to know before putting down the padding and carpet?
Thanks in advance for any info.
My advice, Take it to a professional. Don't do it. You will never get it lay flat.

Back