429 v8 out of a 1969 thunderbird

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 429 out of a 69 thunderbird I got from an auction. Car and motor with tranny were sold separately. I’m planning on putting this engine in my 69 mustang fastback. I would like to get 450-600 horsepower from this engine but I can’t find much info on these engines. Any help is appreciated thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

hope this helps you out. There's more videos about beefing up the 429 on youtube

You got A LOT of custom fabrication work ahead of you. Only the BOSS 429 had the big block in it and boy did they have to do quite a lot of work to get that engine in the car. I also suggest if you are going to the big HP numbers to look up a company that still produces BOSS 429 heads for the 385 series engine. The will defiantly boost power for your engine. Finally I would also recommend a later series 460 bare block if you are looking for lots of power. Later 70's blocks such as ones in Trucks had stronger cast blocks with a better design which would hold up better for what you are wanting to get out of the engine.

Last edited:
Ford 385 Series engines are a very good basic engine. Better than big block Chevrolets as a starting point. Deck height is better than all but rare Chevy BB truck blocks now rare as hen's teeth - rod/stroke ratio is better so cylinder wall scuffing is reduced. Oil system is better too - it took Chaparral Cars Franz Weis to get the Chevy engine to handle oil correctly and stop ending races with the Chaparral 2G ass end covered in oil. (Even tried welding valve covers to heads to keep oil in the engine - didn't work.)

There are aluminum 429 and 494 Can-Am blocks and parts available on eBay but they are expensive. Try searching "Holman Moody" on eBay.

385 Series "Boss" engine parts are always desirable for a street engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 429 out of a 69 thunderbird I got from an auction. Car and motor with tranny were sold separately. I’m planning on putting this engine in my 69 mustang fastback. I would like to get 450-600 horsepower from this engine but I can’t find much info on these engines. Any help is appreciated thanks

Hi, this book should be very helpful:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-FE-Int...x=the+great+fe&sr=8-1&tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back