3D-printing t-bird stuff - Show your designs

mistfr
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I thought it could be fun to see if there are any other 3d-printers out here making stuff for the Thunderbird!

Anyone!? Show off your stuff!

Here's what I've come up with.

Speaker bracket...
IMG_20190203_220502.jpg

E-brake light lens. The original was non existing so I made a new... I have no idea if this even resembles the originals design but it sure looks better than a gaping black hole.
IMG_20190216_093058.jpg IMG_20190216_094740.jpg

Added RetroBelts retractable belts to my front seats and since it didn't retract all the way the metal lock tongue fell onto the door sill. With this little blob it stays in a more suitable place.
IMG_20190327_124942.jpg IMG_20190327_125005.jpg IMG_20190328_194826.jpg

Gauge pod. Wanted to add gauges without cutting any holes. This holds 2 gauges and sits around the steering column.
IMG_20190805_203827.jpg IMG_20190805_203959.jpg

A bracket to fasten the electric seat control switch.
IMG_20191103_183814.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I thought it could be fun to see if there are any other 3d-printers out here making stuff for the Thunderbird!

Anyone!? Show off your stuff!

Here's what I've come up with.

Speaker bracket...
View attachment 5443

E-brake light lens. The original was non existing so I made a new... I have no idea if this even resembles the originals design but it sure looks better than a gaping black hole.
View attachment 5444 View attachment 5445

Added RetroBelts retractable belts to my front seats and since it didn't retract all the way the metal lock tongue fell onto the door sill. With this little blob it stays in a more suitable place.
View attachment 5446 View attachment 5447 View attachment 5448

Gauge pod. Wanted to add gauges without cutting any holes. This holds 2 gauges and sits around the steering column.
View attachment 5449 View attachment 5450

A bracket to fasten the electric seat control switch.
View attachment 5451
what machine and software are you using?

I'm using Fusion 360 for design work. It is a commercial software that is free to use for personal stuff. Works great and can send the models directly to Cura without the need for saving to a file first.

As mentioned I then use cura for slicing while finally printing on my Wanhao D9.
All prints in my first post are printed using petg plastic receipt for the light grey print of the belt clip support.

Wow! Those are pretty impressive. How long did it take to print some of the larger items?

Well...
So...
...Thread was moved to for sale section...

Not trying to sell anything...
I just thought it'd be fun to see what people come up with.

I feel that putting it here totally negates what I wanted it to be so
if this is where the thread is supposed to be then it might be better to just remove it.

At least move it to off topic.
Please!

Last edited:
Well...
So...
...Thread was moved to for sale section...

Not trying to sell anything...
I just thought it'd be fun to see what people come up with.

I feel that putting it here totally negates what I wanted it to be so
if this is where the thread is supposed to be then it might be better to just remove it.

At least move it to off topic.
Please!
I agree, not sure why it was moved.

Wow! Those are pretty impressive. How long did it take to print some of the larger items?

I mostly print with layer thickness of 0.2 mm (0,004") which is a middle path between print time and print surface detail and looks. Choosing a layer thickness of 0,1 mm practically doubles the print time while improving the quality of the print.
Take the E-brake lens as an example, each layer is clearly visible in its surface and in hindsight I should probably have used a thinner layer thickness for that print as it's a smaller piece and print time would have been ok anyway.
closeup.png

With that said I believe that the smaller pieces took maybe 30 minutes to print while the speaker bracket took somewhere around 8 hours to print using 0.2 mm layer thickness..

Back